Epilepsy Meds

I talked to my niece on Sunday, and she is a little concerned about her 4 year-old Golden. He is larger than a Grey, but I can at least get some idea for her.

He's had a few seizures over the last several months (IIRC, she said 4 over the last six months). So the vet is playing it conservatively at this time. So no meds yet.

But she'd like to know a ballpark of what to expect. Also, what meds are usually used, and whether they are available at the pharmacy, rather than the vet's office.

Thanks!!

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest WhenIGiveIn

Most of the time phenobarbital will do the trick. I always got squeaky's at CVS they were $13 for 120 pills and he was taking 4 a day so that was a months perscription. I did call Walmart and they would be $9 there for a month.

Guest EmilyAnne

Henry is on Potassium Bromide. We get it through Dr. Foster & Smith for 90% less than what our old vet wanted to charge us for. It runs about $10 a month. I haven't done the exact math. The tests are what costs a bit. He will need to have his medicine levels checked periodically to make sure he is getting the right amount of medicine. If I remember correctly it was $90 something to test Henry's Potassium Bromide level. The price varies.

Have your nice check out the link in my siggy to encouraging stories about hounds with epilepsy. :)

Guest Snowy8

Gabby is on 400 mg of phenobarbital & its $13.73 at Walgreens...

I did have her on potassium bromide & it was $52.00 a month...I didn't like the way it made her act, so my vet changed her back to phenobarbital.

KBr we have to get at the human pharmacy as my vet doesn't carry it. I can get it from him, but he'd just order if from the human place to begin with.

Pb I just get at the vet. I just pay and go so don't know what it is per month, but it isn't expensive at all.

Gabapentin when we have to use it comes from the human pharmacy as well. Neither our vet or the neuro carries it.