Stitches Out

hi,

Lexie got her three stitches out of near the top of her nail. she had a small gash from something metal. when the vet took the stitches out she was bleeding a little. He said to use neosporin and still cover it for a few days and have her not run around. My question is..how long will I know until it is ready? Like a few days will it look like a scab or should I just wait like 5 days or so. We have snow and rain and it is a mess. I still cover it just didnt know how long I should wait till i start letting her out with it uncovered. I hate for it to split open again. Any suggestions are welcome

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Guest savvyprchick

I'd say wait until she has a good scab going so that nothing can get into it. But you can always call your vet and they will know right away :)

Guest team_weasel

Keep covering up the paw (with a bootie) while she's going outside until there is a thick scab. In fact, while she still has the scab, I would keep it covered when she goes out. I wouldn't want that scab to come off if it's not ready. If you see her licking at it, I would suggest using a muzzle and lick guard.

Those darn paws take so long to heal! :rolleyes:

Guest savvyprchick
what is lick guard? I never heard of it

I believe the same as a poop guard for muzzles.

And I agree with team weasel... I had originally thought you wrote that the stitches were at the top of her TAIL, not nail. With an injury on the paw, I'd keep it covered until the scab comes off naturally.