Doggie Vaccines

Guest Amy_Bee

Guest Amy_Bee

I know I'm probably being paranoid, but in April, Gretchen will be due for all her yearly shots. Last year, she had an FCE stroke about a week and a half after she got them. I know there's probably no connection, but I can't help but worry. I mean, I definitely wouldn't NOT get the vaccines, but still.

Guest IGmom4now
I know I'm probably being paranoid, but in April, Gretchen will be due for all her yearly shots. Last year, she had an FCE stroke about a week and a half after she got them. I know there's probably no connection, but I can't help but worry. I mean, I definitely wouldn't NOT get the vaccines, but still.

Yes, there are health risks attached to animal vaccines. Most vet schools now recommend a three-year rotation on all shots, unless there's a particular outbreak in your area, or your dog boards, or goes in the woods. Your vet should work with you on this. Also, spread the shots out so your pet's immune system is not overloaded, ie, don't do rabies and distemper on the same visit, or when there's anesthesia involved.

Thuja occidentalis (a homeopathic remedy) is supposed to help an animal detox after a vaccination, but I haven't tried this yet. BTW, I had an IG who seizured for three days after a rabies shot -- a different vet gave her the vaccine and didn't see that her chart clearly said she needed pre-medication. I was pi$$$ed!!

My sympathies to you and your pup.

It's difficult to imagine how a fibrocartilaginous embolism can be caused by a vaccination; in FCE, the "jelly" inside the cushions between vertebrae somehow makes its way into an artery, blocking off blood supply to part of the spinal cord. How getting stuck for rabies, etc. might cause that is beyond me.

We are a bit fortunate in that the vaccines have done their job- virtually eliminated rabies in captive populations, reduced parvo to a manageable level, greatly reduced the risk of distemper, knocked our coronavirus, provided a solution to leptospirosis, and given us alternatives to problems like lyme, bordatella, canine influenza, hepatitis, measles, etc.

Is there fallout? Sure. But on the whole, dogs will live considerably longer, healthier lives when vaccinated on the basis of your veterinarian's recommendations.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest Amy_Bee

Here is what she's due to have on the same day in April:

Distemper vaccine (marked annual)

Bordetella (marked annual)

Heartworm test

Lyme vaccine (marked annual)

Fecal & giardia (this is a test, not a vaccine, I think)

Rabies (3-year-- I guess she didn't have this one last year)

So she'd had the distemper, bordetella, and lyme all in one day last year. The sheer number of shots she's due for scares me. Maybe I can ask the vet to hold off on one or two until the following month.

Guest Tigonie
Here is what she's due to have on the same day in April:

Distemper vaccine (marked annual)

Bordetella (marked annual)

Heartworm test

Lyme vaccine (marked annual)

Fecal & giardia (this is a test, not a vaccine, I think)

Rabies (3-year-- I guess she didn't have this one last year)

So she'd had the distemper, bordetella, and lyme all in one day last year. The sheer number of shots she's due for scares me. Maybe I can ask the vet to hold off on one or two until the following month.

Yes, you can ask the vet to do them at separate times. Definitely remind your vet about the problem she had in the past. Sometimes they can use a different product if your pet had a reaction to something.

Also, my vet was telling me that they used to routinely give vaccines in the scruff area, but sometimes there were complications at the site of the vaccination (I can't remember what complications, but I think cancer). If the shot was given in the scruff, there was nothing they could do about complications, and the dog often died. The thing now is to give vaccinations in the dog's leg. That way, if there's a similar problem, they have a chance to remove the leg and save the dog's life. Not a happy thought, but it does save the dog's life. It's worth asking them to give the vaccines in the leg, if they don't routinely.

Edited by Tigonie