Stud Tail

CherylB

Guest CindyMessmore

I just ran into a thread about this. First time I'd ever heard of it....but by golly that's exactly what my dogs have. Click on Search, then Advanced Search. Search for stud tail in health and medical form. You'll get plenty of info.

Guest FullMetalFrank

The thing we are trying (and it is still too soon to tell if it's doing any good at allowing hair to grow back, although the existing hair is looking a lot less brittle) is cleaning the area with an Oxyclean pad once a day. I was very surprised to see that so many hounds have this condition, but relieved to find out is is normal and superficial.

Whippet has it too. Might seem worse at certain times of year, when dog is going through a shedding cycle.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Mono (female neutered cat) had it. The fur on her tail would get very oily and the skin itchy. Our vet reccomended we use a medicated shampoo that you would use for very oily hair and wash that area of tail as often as required. We started at every day and then dropped back gradually to about every 10 days or so.