Bartonella

Guest artemiss

Guest artemiss

We got our test results back today...

Ezri had a positive on her Bartonella..

My vet siad she was waiting to hear back from NC university on what their advice was on treatment..

In the meantime, has anyone on here had any experiences with this TBD?

Guest MomtoMiniMe

I believe one treatment is Zithromax.. Don't know too much about it. Dr. Couto thought maybe my one female had it when she fell ill. Try a google search.. Good luck! Zithromax for my Mini Me was $9.00 a PILL... Unreal when you can get a "Z-pack" for $10.00

My vet siad she was waiting to hear back from NC university on what their advice was on treatment..

Guest artemiss
I believe one treatment is Zithromax.. Don't know too much about it. Dr. Couto thought maybe my one female had it when she fell ill. Try a google search.. Good luck! Zithromax for my Mini Me was $9.00 a PILL... Unreal when you can get a "Z-pack" for $10.00

wow, why so expensive? :blink:

Is it just a difference between vet vs human grade, or is the canine dosage signifigntly different than the human dose?

(or is that an ins copay, lol?)

Guest houndlover

I've never heard of that or had any experience with it. Did you vet say anything about the treatment or have they never really dealt with anything like this?

Guest MomtoMiniMe

wow, why so expensive? :blink:

Is it just a difference between vet vs human grade, or is the canine dosage signifigntly different than the human dose?

(or is that an ins copay, lol?)

I have no idea why. I even thought about asking my family dr to write me a script for me and then give it to my dog. Couto said it's the same thing as the human version. Absolutely insane if you ask me. Talk about highway robbery!

One of our adopter's dogs had it. He actually posted here on GT, but I'm not sure which forum he put it in. It was a very informative post, irrc.

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest artemiss

Spoke with the vet today.

I've never heard of that or had any experience with it. Did you vet say anything about the treatment or have they never really dealt with anything like this?

She said she had to call around, and everyone told her North Carolina weres the "gurus". They told her that her bloodwork indicated positive, active infection, and that zithromax was the drug of choice. We discussed the possiblilty of getting the script at Walmart, including halving 600 mg tabs if that would be cheaper, as the veterinary formula was so painfully expensive. :eek

So I am calling around and seeing who has the best prices on this, as the treatment appears to be 1 pill per day for five days, then one pill every other day for 45. :blink:

And thanks guys...that thread had a lot of interesting info.

I am just happy we caught this and can address it soon!

:colgate

Edited by artemiss