Elevated Alt

Guest tcornwel

Guest tcornwel

I was going to have Keeper to be a blood donor - I told people that 4 was too young to be retired and he needed a new job. In December I took him in for his screening visit. They said he looked in excellent health, and took a blood sample. Beginning of January they told me they didn't take enough blood for the TBD panel would I mind bringing him in again. Not a problem.

I got a phone call today from the vet. :unsure

Keeper's ALT was slightly elevated in December it was 160 (120 is the high end of normal for their lab), the vet thought it might just be a blip since all of Keeper's other blood work was great. Since Keeper needed to come in for more blood work they retested the ALT level (and only this parameter).

His ALT is now over 300. They were going to fax over all of his blood work to my regular vet, and I am going to make an appointment to go in and see her.

From reading some of the archives, I understand this could just be a blip or it could be more.

Is there anything that I should be watching for as an indicator of something serious?

I am going to start him on Milk Thistle - how much should I give him a day (he is 70 lbs)?

I just want some reassurance.

I have the same diagnosis on my 11yo Whippet mix.

I took her in for a dental last summer. Her presurgery labs indicated an increased ALT. We initially tried a round of antibiotics, but that didn't help. We then tried 30 days of a med I had to get at the pharmacy. I don't remember the name & it didn't help either.

Summer has no symptoms, but I did run the dex test & the bile duct test which both came back normal. The internist mentioned a biopsy which I refused since she has no symptoms.

My reg vet recommended trying Denosyl which in one month lowered her level. We are going to continue her for several months on the meds & retest. She may have to take them the rest of her life or it may improve - we dont' know.

She still has never exhibited any signs of liver problems.

Jennifer Watkins

Shamrock Greyhound Placement

Louisville, KY

Jennifer Watkins

Shamrock Greyhound Placement, Louisville, KY

Greyhound Festival of the Bluegrass -July 19-21, 2013

Holiday Inn/Hurstbourne, Louisville KY

Guest tcornwel
How was the ALP? Any other blood values out of whack?

Any chance he was run particularly hard the day or so before the test? That can put ALT out of whack, too.

All of the other blood values were normal and looked good. That is why they thought that first ALT was a blip. The second test they only tested the ALT so I don't know what the other values have done.

On the morning of the 13 - I had him out running with some other greys and the blood was drawn Monday evening. I never thought about the exercise contributing. Before any more blood work I will make sure not to run him for a couple of days before hand.

On the morning of the 13 - I had him out running with some other greys and the blood was drawn Monday evening. I never thought about the exercise contributing. Before any more blood work I will make sure not to run him for a couple of days before hand.

That may be your answer right there :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest tcornwel

I am glad to hear that about running. I had scheduled an appt for Monday afternoon, but have since changed it until Wednesday afternoon. We are going out of town this weekend and I don't want the stress (albeit minor) to make these readings again high.

Also I will not let him run Monday or Tuesday - which would be so much easier if there wasn't any snow - as that is his favourite pastime (after eating)

Edited by tcornwel