Bleeding...tail?!

Guest Harleys_girl06

Guest Harleys_girl06

I just gave Harley a bath when he lay down in the grass of our backyard and sniffed the end of his tail which was wrapped around him. I looked over to see some of the hairs on the end of his tail red with blood and i tried seperating the hairs to see like the skin of his tail or the bone of his tail, I don't really know what is under the hairs :) But it was red with blood, the tip of his tail. Is this something I should worry about? Or is it a cut that will heal soon?

Guest laceyj

Sounds like it could be happy tail syndrome to me. When you were bathing him did he wag a lot, maybe out of nervousness? Could have whacked the tip of his tail on the bathroom tile and split it open. Most times it eventually heals, the problem is they frequently crack it open again wagging their tail.

Guest Harleys_girl06

No he wasn't wagging his tail but perhaps when I was wiping it with a towel it might have ripped a little? His tail just hung down like a "J" lol :) Now I know its probably not that dangerous if something like that happened.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

It's happy tail and he will keep whacking it against things and opening the wound back up.

About a 1 foot length of pipe insulation keeps it cushioned and reduces the wagging speed and repition rate. Let it extend a couple of inches beyond the end of the tail.

This stuff comes in four foot lengths and various diameters to fit 3/8 inch to 1 1/4 inch copper pipe. Buy an assortment of diameters.

Paul with Bill & Elmo & angel Happy

in the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY

Guest crazy4greys

Use a pink hair roller bought at any drug store and cut it lenth wise like a hot dog bun.

Put on some neosporin and insert the tail and leave space at the end so the tail it not right at the end.

Wrap it up with elastikon or another type of sticky bandage and leave covered for 3-4 days, then change.

Keep doing this until the tail is all healed.

Another vote for the pink hair curler cure. I use EMT gel, though, instead of Neosporin.

Rhemus has had some awesome cases of Happy Tail (and by 'awesome' I mean blood on the walls, blood on the ceiling, blood on the floor, slasher film awesome :lol ). What can I say, he's REALLY, REALLY happy!!! :D

Laurie

**& Angels Emily, Beatrice, Okie, Rhemus ,Vixen, and Rose-always in my heart**

Guest crazy4greys
Another vote for the pink hair curler cure. I use EMT gel, though, instead of Neosporin.

If you use EMT gel, just make sure you use a non stick pad. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Baloos_Mom
It's happy tail and he will keep whacking it against things and opening the wound back up.

About a 1 foot length of pipe insulation keeps it cushioned and reduces the wagging speed and repition rate. Let it extend a couple of inches beyond the end of the tail.

This stuff comes in four foot lengths and various diameters to fit 3/8 inch to 1 1/4 inch copper pipe. Buy an assortment of diameters.

Thanks for this. I just went and bought some....package of it was only $1.50 at walmart. It has only been on for about 5 minutes but seems like a greyt idea. It goes almost up the whole tail...which helps keep it on....I just taped it a LOT up at the top and crossed my fingers. The cheapest curlers I could fine were $5 and they were not as big around....I think this will work much better...imo. THANKS so much!