Cut Pad

Guest AndyUK

Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year to you all!

Minor issue which i'd appreciate some advice on.

I noticed Sarah limping during one of our walks and checked her out when w got home - she has cut a pad on one of her front paws - nothing major. Two days later it is still bleeding whenever she goes out so i've taken her to the vet who has confirmed there is nothing in it but that it will take a while to repair itself as not much blood gets to the pad (tell that to my kitchen floor!). While it heals it needs to be dressed.

I'm just about to go and collect her from having her dressing put on. If anyone has any advice that the vet may not think to give me then i'd appreciate it - forewarned is forearmed.

Thanks again

Andy

Guest newbie2007

We had this a couple of months ago - and it did take a long time to heal - 2 weeks I think, before we went back to normal walks with nothing on the foot. More so because it was more of a split than a cut, so it kept re-opening every time he stood on it.

We didn't go to the vet but just kept it clean and covered, which we thought would be fine - but by day 2 when it kept re-opening we used TCP spray-on plaster which was brilliant for keeping it clean and sealed.

At the time we just used a plastic bag over the dressing for potty breaks and short walks, but it often wore through and was a pain to put on, even folded over with several layers, so now I have a set of ultrapaws boots (google that if you're interested) so if it ever happens again we can put one of those on. They're also great for slippy floors which our guy is petrified of, and the main reason I bought them. He doesn't mind wearing the boots at all, but I imagine some wouldn't like them. They're from the US, and I gather you're in the UK too, so with the current exchange rate they're a real bargain :-)

good luck!

Guest Hollys2hounds

The boots sound wonderful, but in a pinch, I have used baby booties (socks) just to cover the wounds while outside. They are soft, and basically stay on well. Though you might have to use some tape around the top of the bootie, just to keep it up.

I love EMT gel for these kinds of boo boos.

Good luck and happy HEALTHY 2008!

:balloonparty

One of our vets suggested superglue over the cut and it seemed to help our girl a bit when she had a damaged pad, it helped keep it firm and it stoped bleeding, and she didn't seem to mind at all. Human athletes use it all the time on cuts so that helped us feel at ease about it a bit more...

Thanks for the advice. We did clean the cut with TCP and tried a plaster but it came off straightaway. Anyway the Vet has dressed it and I have to take her back again on Wednesday to get it changed. We bought a boot to keep the dressing dry so she can go out on walks but we have to take it off in the house as she trips over it - she fell on the stairs yesterday and screamed like crazy, thankfully there's no harm done but for a moment I thought she'd broken her leg !

She is also on a course of antibiotics which are, how should I say this - affecting her stomach - and seem to be making her a bit miserable but better safe than sorry.

Thanks again

Andy

Guest alannamac

Glad she's doing ok.....the vets do have a special superglue (veterinaty superglue....not the stuff you buy at the store ....those chemicals sting!) to seal up wounds.

My vet used it as an external suture for my pshyco kitty (who I swear is as sweet as can be except at his office!) after her spay because he didn't want to have to remove the stitches. It's really really strong, and held her "hide" together very well.

I think it would work great if the cut does not seem to be healing on it's own.

Hope she's feeling better soon (and getting used to the boot!):)

Guest CindiLuvsGreys

My vet did give use the "vet super glue" to seal a bad slice in JB's paw when he stepped on glass. One application and it never came opened again and healed in about 1 week.