Calcium Tablets

Guest ss556

My vet also said that when I give Alan home cooked meals, I can add eggshell or a crushed tums or a calcium pill - the same as I take. Has anyone heard of this? I have calcium + D.

You are supposed to supplement a certain amount of calcium per pound of food. This website may be helpful for dosage - they talk about raw recipes but the cooked info is below it, just keep scrolling. http://dogaware.com/dogfeeding.html

Now I could be wrong on this, but I believe that bone meal has both calcium and phosphorus. When you're trying to add calcium to meat you don't want extra phosphorus because it's already in the meat and that's what you're trying to balance.

Yes, whenever you home cook for an extended period of time it's important to make sure the food is balanced by adding calcium. Egg shells or Tums works fine. I used to grind them up in a cheap coffee bean grinder and then mix it with the food. It was a year ago that I did all that for our old Grey so I don't remember the amount of calcium to add.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

When Kona was on a homemade diet because of partial renal failure, we had a consult with a nutritionist. She recommended a supplement that would cover all needs. balance it. I believe you need a prescription though. Balance It link