Soul Is Limping

Guest SoulsMom

Usually, when a dog presents with an acute limp, the first thing that comes to mind is not TBD. Treating for a tick disease on the basis of an acute limp with no other symptoms or confirming bloodwork would be poor practice. There are lots of things that cause limping -- muscle strains, tendonitis, bursitis, bone problems, corns, sprung toes, etc. -- and most of them are not TBD.

Actually, it's pretty common around here to go to TBD when a dog presents with a limp. Unfortunately, when you live in this part of the world, it's standard to know several people whose dogs were limping and had a Lyme diagnosis.

I think the wait and see with pain meds is fairly standard protocol. I wouldn't jump to full blown x-rays etc, until the "easy" stuff has been ruled out like strain, etc.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SoulsMom

Thanks everyone! He seems better today :) I could tell he was nervous about going down the stairs this morning, but as the day has wore on, his limp is less noticable. He's been pretty quiet most of the day, which is what he needs. He played once, throwing around my slipper in his bed for about ten seconds. So, hopefully he'll continue to improve. :goodluck

Thanks everyone! He seems better today :) I could tell he was nervous about going down the stairs this morning, but as the day has wore on, his limp is less noticable. He's been pretty quiet most of the day, which is what he needs. He played once, throwing around my slipper in his bed for about ten seconds. So, hopefully he'll continue to improve. :goodluck

Sending more prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest lizmego

Is he still on the Rimadyl and/or Tramadol? Those meds will make him feel better. The downside to giving pain meds is that if its a soft tissue (pulled muscle), then the pain meds will mask the pain and they may re-injure by playing or running in the yard. I'd keep him quiet if at all possible while you're trying to determine if they injury has healed or you need to do more tests. Good thoughts for Soul.

Guest SoulsMom
Is he still on the Rimadyl and/or Tramadol? Those meds will make him feel better. The downside to giving pain meds is that if its a soft tissue (pulled muscle), then the pain meds will mask the pain and they may re-injure by playing or running in the yard. I'd keep him quiet if at all possible while you're trying to determine if they injury has healed or you need to do more tests. Good thoughts for Soul.

The Rimadyl for two more days, and he will be leashed in the yard for two weeks to make sure he heals. Now, If I could just stop him from jumping in excitement when I come home :rolleyes:

Guest sharkysmachine
He feels so much better, and is back to his bouncy, goofy self :wub:

Thank you all so much for all the advice and good mojo!

Glad he's feeling better! Sharky needs a playmate :P

Guest LolasMom

I'm so glad to hear that Soul's feeling better. Keep healing sweetheart.

He sure is handsome in those PJ's :inlove

Edited by LolasMom

Such wonderful news! Keep up the good work sweetie. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.