Bleeding After Tooth Extraction

Guest MountainHounds

Guest MountainHounds

My parents' westies both had dentals today and Magic had several teeth extacted, one back tooth, one lower canine and a couple of incisors. He's sitting here next to me and I noticed a little bit of blood on his blanket and around his mouth, it's not very much and when I looked in his mouth (and got growled at) I noticed a little bit of blood around the socket where the canine tooth was, which was stitched. It's not gushing and there's not a lot of blood, but my mother is worried and I thought I'd check since I've never had to deal with extractions in my own boys. Our vets' office is open until 8:00 tonight and we're debating if we need to call, there's not any heavy bleeding and it may just seem worse because of the white fur.

Guest crazy4greys

My vet always put my greys on clavamox 7 days ahead of time to reduce bleeding when having extractions, so I can't help.

Although, the canines usually bleed more, but I would call the vet if you are worried.

Guest MountainHounds

Well we did talk to the vet and she said that from what we described it sounded normal. Poor baby isn't feeling well at all. Dougal is doing fine now that he seems to be over the worst of the post-anesthesia grogginess, but poor Magic is just crying like I've never heard him. He drank a little water and the doctor wanted to make sure that he got his antibiotic, tramadol and prednisone (for his addison's) which we were able to coax down him over an hour or so, but he then started throwing up about a half hour after the last pill. Poor pup, my mother is worried sick about him

Guest Winterwish

Poor Magic! Maybe by now you could give him another tramodol in case he threw it up. Also,maybe a little cream would be soothing for him to lap up. :getwell