Carafate

Guest SillyDog

Guest SillyDog
Depends on why you are using it. 2 to 4 times a day.

It's for Prancer, my TBD dog. He is on doxy, metacam, tramadol and amantadine and having some stomach upset. So far I've been giving it to him just at night because he seems to have trouble in the morning, but he's starting to have trouble at night, too. I really don't want him to loose any more weight because he's always been on the slender side & just doesn't really have any more to loose. I'll try giving him carafate twice a day and if that doesn't work I'll be taking him into the vet.

I'm also going to stop at PetCo today and get him some Natural Balance fish & potato food. He loves that stuff and I'm hoping that if I work it in with the Kirkland food it'll give him more of an incentive to eat.

Guest CyndiW

I think they can have it up to 4 times a day. You may want to try giving it at least 1 hour before meds/food as it really coats the esophagus and stomach and protects the linings. Are you giving the pill or liquid? I found a wonderful way to get either to go down for Alex. We mix it with some vanilla Ensure (very small amount) and he just laps it up. That way we know it coats what it needs to. I have to take Carafate myself and it almost numbs the irritated GI system to where I don't feel anything going down or churning in my stomach. It has been a lifesaver for me and Alex.

Guest SillyDog
I think they can have it up to 4 times a day. You may want to try giving it at least 1 hour before meds/food as it really coats the esophagus and stomach and protects the linings. Are you giving the pill or liquid? I found a wonderful way to get either to go down for Alex. We mix it with some vanilla Ensure (very small amount) and he just laps it up. That way we know it coats what it needs to. I have to take Carafate myself and it almost numbs the irritated GI system to where I don't feel anything going down or churning in my stomach. It has been a lifesaver for me and Alex.

I've got the pill form. I will take your advice and give it time to work before feeding him. It might be a little hard to do in the am because Prancer & Carly are used to getting fed right away when I wake up, but they'll adjust. And, as an added benefit, maybe they'll help me stay awake in the am if they're clamoring for their food!

Edited by SillyDog

Guest CyndiW

From what I understood Alex's internist to say, if you dissolve the pill in something (water, Ensure, chicken broth, etc.) and have him lap it up or use a syringe then you know it coats from top down and protects everything. It might be more effective for Prancer that way. I know what you mean about it being hard to give in the morning and wait. We also have to wait after Alex's Prilosec and Reglan so we literally have to fly out of bed when the alarm first goes off and start his pill regimen so that we still have time to feed him before heading out the door. It took him awhile to get used to the wait (and the other dogs didn't like to wait either) but now he takes his meds, they all go out to pee, and then just go back to their beds until feeding time. It is almost as if Alex looks forward to meds because he knows what comes later. I sure hope some of this helps Prancer. It is hard to watch them suffer from the stomach upset when they have so much other stuff going on as well.