The Big "d"

Guest grapecat

Guest grapecat

Humphrey, our almost-three-year-old, has had a nasty case of something - he was vomiting over the weekends and had diarrhea very badly. I took him to our vet on Saturday morning and they advised starving for 24 hours, then going onto Hill's I/D. They also prescribed antibiotics and probiotics, as he is still recovering from a broken leg and still has his external fixatour (it comes off next week!). He hated the Hills stuff - the only way I could get him to eat any was feeding bits by hand throughout the day.

I've been reading through the archives, and I tried him on hamburger and rice, which he loved, and it seemed to do the trick. Yesterday I started reintroducing his regular kibble, Burns chicken and brown rice. Last night the Big D was back, and this morning as well. No sign of vomiting this time at least. Did I try the kibble too soon? I'll put him back on hamburger and rice/pasta today (or do I need to do another 24 hour starve?) I'm really concerned about him losing too much weight as he will be back in surgery next week to have his pins taken out of his leg and I want him to be strong.

The other factor is that my partner, who is normally Humph's main carer (works from home) has had to fly back to his home as his mother died - could Humphrey just be reacting to the stress of missing his "daddy" and the new routine?

And how much hamburger and rice? He weighs 30 kilos (well probably less now after the last few days).

Thank you in advance for your advice - this is really quite scary! (and oh - my poor carpets!!)

Guest longdogs

24 hours with just water is the best thing to start with. Fat-free hamburger - some people boil it but I fry or microwave it and drain off all the fat - and rice cooked to a mush as you have been giving him is the next step. I don't know why the Science Diet was suggested. Antibiotics will help clear any infection but can themselves cause problems. Is it possible the kibble you are using is stale or got damp?

Guest grapecat
It certainly could be the stress of separation, particularly with a very sensitive animal.

What do you normally feed?

Normally Burns brand dry food - either chicken and brown rice or fish and brown rice. It's hypo-allergenic, all natural ingredients. He's been eating it since we got him in February, no problems so far. (we're in the UK)

Guest susiemac2112
It certainly could be the stress of separation, particularly with a very sensitive animal.

What do you normally feed?

Normally Burns brand dry food - either chicken and brown rice or fish and brown rice. It's hypo-allergenic, all natural ingredients. He's been eating it since we got him in February, no problems so far. (we're in the UK)

Hi Grapecat,

I too am in the UK and also feed my Ellie Burns. I alternate between the chicken and rice and the lamb and rice.

When Ellie had a bad case of the big D last month I kept her off her kibble for almost a week. I starved her for 24 hours just giving her fresh water. I then started feeding her on brown rice on its own, then I started introducing a bit of boiled chicken. By about the 4th day I also stared adding a bit of her kibble with the rice. It took almost 2 weeks before I gave her just the kibble.

I know what you mean about your poor carpets. Ellie has been great in the house only had 2 accidents and that was when I first got her, but when she had her upset tummy I was greated each morning with a little pressie from Ellie, luckily I have a mixture of laminate and ceramic floors downstairs so it was easy to clean up.

I think it sounds like he's missing his daddy bless him.