More Mystery Illness

Guest jupiterooos

Guest jupiterooos

I just got a call from the vet about Jupiter's urine sample. She said it was very dilute, which it was last time, but this time there was no evidence of an infection. He did, however, have elevated levels of bilirubin, and she was concerned about that.

In combination with Big D that just will. not. clear. up, she's even more concerned, and we are in for another battery of tests.

My poor baby...it's so frustrating for me and no fun for him either. I just want him to feel better! :sad1

Babesia is a TBD (tick borne disease) that is rare in other breeds of dog, but not so rare for racing greyhounds. The other, more common greyhound tick disease that can cause vague, but very serious symptoms is Ehrlichia. There is lots of info right here on greytalk if you do a search for TBD, Ehrlicia, and Babesia. A tick panel - I got mine from Protatek - will indicate whether your dog has been exposed.

One of the most common symptom of TBD is decreased blood platelets, though a dog can have normal platelet levels and still have TBD, so a titer (tick panel) is best. My dog had borderline low (and dropping) blood platelets, minor incontinence, vague unexplained lameness, lethargy (hard to tell with a greyhound), and chronic diarrhea. All problems, except the diarrhea, resoved with treatment. Diarrhea was fixed by changing diet.

I don't know specifically about the liver, but TBD negatively affects the entire system.

Guest jupiterooos
My dog had borderline low (and dropping) blood platelets, minor incontinence, vague unexplained lameness, lethargy (hard to tell with a greyhound), and chronic diarrhea. All problems, except the diarrhea, resoved with treatment. Diarrhea was fixed by changing diet.

Hm. That all sounds familiar. Very, very familiar. I will definitely ask the vet about this, thanks!