Another Thyroid Question

Guest EmbersDad

Guest EmbersDad

I did a search, and found a lot of info and questions on thyroid. I did see the Florida study paper pegging mean T4 at 1.47 + or - .63 for retired racers. Ember's history started with her T4 being .4. 6 mo ago, it was 2.1. most recent test 2.8. the high end of that study gave a reading of 3.6. both myself, and my adoption group feel that is too high. ember was perscribed .2mg levothyroxine twice a day. after the 2.1 test, i started breaking them in half when i dosed her. my vet doesnt want me to quit cold turkey, so she said to just use a half pill once a day and watch for clinical signs, ie baldness, lethargy, weight gain, etc. she also saw the same florida study. sooo....what do you Gt'ers think? sound reasoning? any other "clinical signs" i should watch for?

I have to research the forum later. The FL study is misinterpreted many times. Most retired racers run between .8 and 1.2 (obviously with variations). Some greys, like my SieSie at .8 was too low--she was a little off and started losing hair on her thighs. Scooby at .2 was so bad he was sleeping 23 1/2 hrs a day and couldn't gain weight. What a difference on thyroid!

Retest on thyroid is suppose to be between 2.0 and 5.0 so no, Ember is not too high at the dose you were giving.

Did you do a complete panel when you tested? How long was Ember off the track when you tested?

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest EmbersDad
I have to research the forum later. The FL study is misinterpreted many times. Most retired racers run between .8 and 1.2 (obviously with variations). Some greys, like my SieSie at .8 was too low--she was a little off and started losing hair on her thighs. Scooby at .2 was so bad he was sleeping 23 1/2 hrs a day and couldn't gain weight. What a difference on thyroid!

Retest on thyroid is suppose to be between 2.0 and 5.0 so no, Ember is not too high at the dose you were giving.

Did you do a complete panel when you tested? How long was Ember off the track when you tested?

i am unsure about the complete panel. ember was rehomed, and was off the track for appx 18mo before she was tested back in 2002. i can ask my vet if it was a full panel done this time and can get the results (if any) if that helps.