My Foster Girlie Is In Heat!

We got Gracie as a broken legged foster 6 weeks ago. She just got her hard cast off yesterday and was put into a soft cast. Her leg is healing very nicely. We even made an appointment to get her spayed for this coming Tues. BUT, just this morning, we noticed drops of blood throughout the house. Yep, she went into heat!!!

AND, she lives with our three greyhound boys who are VERY interested in what's going on!!

We had girlie panties and she is in those right now with a sanitary napkin.

Anybody else had this experience? How long does the heat last?

Lucy, Mommy to Alex (Fuzzy's Alexander), Zachy, and Lovey (RWC First Love). Angels Willow (Memu), Gracie LuLu (Reward Whammo), Prince (Dundrum Prince) and Rally (My Rapid Rally) , Siamese kitties Dallas and Dixie, Balinese kitty Zoe and bridge kitty Miza

Guest Tenderhearts

I only had this experience once, and it was when I took my terrier mix, Pikachu in. I thought she was just a pup, but was already a year old. She went into heat before I could get her spayed! :eek :eek

To the best of my recollection, it's about a week going in, a week with the bleeding, and a week going out of heat.

We had that when we retired Indie. She went into heat a week before her spay appointment. We had 10-14 days of bleeding (most of it very light), and a certain level of interest from the males in the household for a couple of weeks after still. Even with a privacy fence, we had issues with a free roaming neighborhood intact black lab. I am so glad she is spayed now :)

My Greyhounds 'Ivy' (male) and Soldi (female) are both intact. Soldi enters in heat once per year.

Her heat cycle lasts normally about 22 days...the first 12 days Ivy doesn't show any interest in Soldi.

Then he gets interested on day 13 to 17 and that's it. I separate them during that time...no whining, no trauma.

Soldi is very clean and doesn't bleed much. I'm lucky that no males ever followed us on our walks...

I suppose your males are neutered, so what do you worry about? Just keep her on-leash on your walks and

she'll be fine...

By the way...my hounds are 8 (soldi) and 11 (Ivy) years old. I have had them since puppy age...

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Guest ThunderPaws

My sweet little foster girlie is in heat. :headwall

She is almost done, it's been 2-3 weeks now. Vet said I have to wait another week or so to get her spayed. She was a little grumpy when she got here, but it's getting much better now.

My dogs (all fixed) are not interested in her, only one male foster that had recently been neutered. Guess he still "had it in him". :P

My sweet little foster girlie is in heat. :headwall

I have someone to commiserate with :)

2-3 weeks, huh? Let the fun begin!! :lol

Lucy, Mommy to Alex (Fuzzy's Alexander), Zachy, and Lovey (RWC First Love). Angels Willow (Memu), Gracie LuLu (Reward Whammo), Prince (Dundrum Prince) and Rally (My Rapid Rally) , Siamese kitties Dallas and Dixie, Balinese kitty Zoe and bridge kitty Miza

I suppose your males are neutered, so what do you worry about?

Unfortunately, there can be a bit to worry about. No, neutered males cannot impregnate a bitch, but they can breed her. And sometimes, that can cause injury, either from the bitch not being receptive, therefore snapping at the male, or an inexperienced male being aggressive in the way he mounts her, or separates a tie. Inexperienced owners contribute to this by not knowing what to expect.

Mind you, the above scenarios are rare, but with dogs who have never been bred, and people who have never dealt with breeding dogs, it can lead to injury.

My suggestion would be to separate her from the male, whenever possible. At the very least, crate her or the boys...

Edited by Sighthounds4me

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

I suppose your males are neutered, so what do you worry about?

Unfortunately, there can be a bit to worry about. No, neutered males cannot impregnate a bitch, but they can breed her. And sometimes, that can cause injury, either from the bitch not being receptive, therefore snapping at the male, or an inexperienced male being aggressive in the way he mounts her, or separates a tie. Inexperienced owners contribute to this by not knowing what to expect.

Mind you, the above scenarios are rare, but with dogs who have never been bred, and people who have never dealt with breeding dogs, it can lead to injury.

My suggestion would be to separate her from the male, whenever possible. At the very least, crate her or the boys...

I have never seen a bitch that is not receptive beeing mounted successfully by a male...

If your neutered males are VERY interested it's better to separate them for those few days...normally even intact

males don't care unless the bitch is really receptive...

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Guest StriderDog

Keep them separated.

Strider knocked boots with a foster in heat and he'd been neutered for a year or more! Imagine my surprise when I got out of the shower to see them doing it in the living room! I'm glad I caught them when I did because they had reached the point where they're "tied" together and I had to hold the foster still so she wouldn't pull poor Strider's hoo-hoo off!

Good luck!