Cutaneous Hemangiosarcoma

Guest CindyMessmore

Guest CindyMessmore

Sorry, I posted this on a thread about Carly... didn't mean to try to hijack the thread... I did a search and just grabbed at what I could... I'm very confused and upset. The more I search the web and read, the more I get confused... so here it is:

One of my Whippets just had a cutaneous hemangiosarcoma removed. I am finding several articles on visceral hemangiosarcoma which seems to involve the spleen and other vital organs. I can't quite figure out if I take the "wait and see" approach, will the cutaneous hemagio "spread" to the spleen, etc? Will this just keep re-occurring as lesions on the skin? Our path report showed clean edges on the section removed.... how accurate is that? Should I have a wider deeper section removed to "make sure" they got all of it? The more I read, the more questions I have.... help?

Guest DorianGreyhound

My Whippet did too... and his brother... he has another one removed this week... it has not affected him for years... he is ten and gorgeous and fit and happy...

Guest CindyMessmore

I think I did see your post about this when I was searching... in that one you were getting ready to have the newer "spot removed". So you're just watching and having them removed as they show up, do I understand correctly? That is what I originally figured on doing, when I first got the report from the Vet. THEN I started researching on the web...egads! Talk about too much information. I just want to make sure that the "waiting & watching" won't allow this to spread into the spleen, liver, etc. I know I'm probably over-reacting because we had to let 2 Greys go to the Bridge in the past year and my heart is still hurting. We now have "only" this 8 yr old Whippet, an 8yr old Grey, 2 two year old Whippets, and 2 four yr old Chihuahuas. Thank you for taking the time to respond, I really do appreciate your input.