Deworming And The Big D

Guest rosebudd

Guest rosebudd

How long does the Big D stick around after deworming. Leo has been fine with it but Claire has been up every three hours to have explosive D. I am just alittle tired today :blink: How long does this last normally. Will it be just as bad when I have to redo the worming in 2 weeks? She had panacur and drontal and leo just had the panacur. is that why? because she had two different meds?

Guest rosebudd
I have never heard of using Drontal and pancur at the same time.

Call the vet and ask.

Get some acidolphillus pills for her. Did you give the worm meds with food?

I am sorry it was pyrantel pamoate dewormer and then she got the drontal for the tape worms. They said she needed both because the first did not get rid of the tape worms and the drontal does. Leo is back to normal poops already and I think she is doing better because she has not had to go in about 5 hrs so far. I have acidolphillus already because I take it daily myself. I will give her some. thanks

I thought that Drontal only gets one variety of tape, but that Drontal Plus gets a whole bunch. But I have heard that Drontal Plus is hard on the stomach. I've never used it. I have wormed with Panacur for hook, round, or whip and also with Drontal for tape. But I would never dose them together. Put a week or more between treatments. Usually if a dog has that many worms, his stomach is not in real great shape.

Guest rosebudd

I have come to the conclusion that it was the pyrantel pamoate dewormer because Leo had bad explosive D last night. The only other thing they got that was the same was the lyme vaccine. Leo's D was much worse than Claires, his stomach was just a grumbling away. I called the E-vet and they said just to watch him :blink: Should I give him something to prevent dehydration? What do you recommend pedilyte?

Edited by rosebudd

Another one curious as to why they would have been given drontal plus and panacur. They contain the same meds, but drontal plus also has a tape-wormer whereas panacur doesn't. In other words, the pups should have been given drontal plus by itself. We use drontal plus on all our fosters and we have had the very rare bout of diarrhea, but it could also be stress related from the haul, so hard to tell.

Hope your pups are back to normal soon.

Pedialyte is ok, if you can get them to drink it. My dog never liked the taste, even when diluted with water.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest rosebudd
Another one curious as to why they would have been given drontal plus and panacur. They contain the same meds, but drontal plus also has a tape-wormer whereas panacur doesn't. In other words, the pups should have been given drontal plus by itself. We use drontal plus on all our fosters and we have had the very rare bout of diarrhea, but it could also be stress related from the haul, so hard to tell.

Hope your pups are back to normal soon.

Pedialyte is ok, if you can get them to drink it. My dog never liked the taste, even when diluted with water.

It was not drontal plus it was just plain drotal but the kicker is that Leo did not get the drontal he just got the pyrantel pamoate. Claire is doing great now.