Shakiness In A Senior?

Guest SusanP

Guest SusanP

I took Simon (11) in today because she's been shaky this spring, especially when she's been walking, but we also see it in the lower jaw when she is panting. Thought at first she was just old, and kind of frail from arthritis, but it's been continuing and maybe worsening. Vet took blood for a senior panel (it's been a year), and we'll get results Monday, but she mentioned so many different reasons why she may be doing this that my head is spinning--sounds like even tumors causing hormonal imbalances? Anyone ever have this symptom in an older dog, and did you ever find out what it was?

Guest greygirls2

Is it a general shakiness or mostly in the hind end? I am going through this now with my Cali who will be 12 in Sept. She is especially shaky after exercise like a light run or our daily walk. I have also just begun to notice a few episodes of urine leaking when she's resting after a run too. I have a post in about that now because I would like to find a holistic method of dealing with all of this. Cali also gets what we call "shaky leg" after a long car ride if she insists on standing too long. I think it's because she's trying to keep her balance and that's putting strain on the hind leg muscles. I give her a nice massage after walks and exercise to help her feel better and it does seem to. I do think it's likely an age related thing, many senior greys I know seem to shake. Cali is going in for a senior check up and blood panels next week and I will discuss this with her vet.

Guest meandmygreys

The shakiness in seniors is just from old age and there is'nt a whole heck of a lot to do about it...some joint therapy may help...my friends older girlie "chitters" her lower jaw...she does it because she's happy !! :colgate

Guest Snowy8

I agree, my 10 yr old Banker has been shaky since he was about 8 & he runs laps around the yard every day. Snowy who is 13 is a little weak in her good leg (broken hock survivor) and Gabby who just turned 10 is starting to get a little shaky. My first greyhound Sadie-Grey was 14 when she started showing shakiness & a little weak in the hind legs....but it didn't stop her.

The chatter of the lower jaw, seems to be a very common thing with greyhounds....all 8 of mine have been known to do it.

Guest SusanP

We noticed it in the lower jaw first, then sometimes about the shoulders (she has arthritis at least in one shoulder and has limped for a couple of years with it) but now even the hind end a little. She's on Previcox for the arthritis, and glucosamine and chondroitin, and this week we've gone back to using Tramadol, since she seems to be hurting more. But the Tramadol hasn't stopped the shakiness, so I'm guessing it isn't strictly pain-related. Also, we first noticed it early this spring, when she was still walking pretty well, keeping up a normal pace despite limping for up to a mile at a time. It doesn't seem to happen when she is at rest or even standing in the house, mostly when she's been up and about, exercising, like when we stop to talk to someone during a walk. It was very noticeable at the vet's yesterday. We should get bloodwork results Monday, but I'm a little worried that we will test and test and test and find nothing. I'm not anxious to put her through endless exams at the vet college after our last experience there (different dog).

Guest meandmygreys

And those charges can run up to no tomorrow in a hurry !!!!!!!!!!! About all you can do is keep her as comfortable as possible..Bonnie started out wobbly at about 14..then she got where sometimes she could get up and sometimes I'd have to help her...muscle weakness comes with age..and she went on like this for about 18 months...I would help her everytime she needed it, but gave her a chance to get up on her own. I did'nt want what muscle she had left to atrophy from lack of use. Maybe a mile is getting to be too far for her to walk and you might try breaking her walks into several short jaunts instead of one long one....All the wet weather we're having here is'nt helping my oldies any !! They're pretty stiff from all the dampness...myself included !! :P