Dog Shampoo - What's In It?

Guest IcyNinja

Guest IcyNinja

Why is dog shampoo so expensive and what is different about it than regular shampoo? Is it just a money thing? Can I just bathe Zoe with a baby shampoo or something?

Guest FullMetalFrank

Maybe someone else with more knowledge will chime in here but I am thinking it's a pH thing? I use a doggie oatmeal shampoo for Frank; we've had the same bottle now forever! (He only needs a bath a couple times a year.) So, I'd go ahead and get the dog shampoo; it's not like you'll be going thru it by the gallon, and you won't have to worry about giving your hound a case of seriously dry flaky skin.

Guest StriderDog

From growing up with my parent's terriers, I can tell you that neither Pantene ProV, Herbal Essence, nor Head-n-Shoulders will kill your dog. ;)

Guest simile
Maybe someone else with more knowledge will chime in here but I am thinking it's a pH thing? I use a doggie oatmeal shampoo for Frank; we've had the same bottle now forever! (He only needs a bath a couple times a year.) So, I'd go ahead and get the dog shampoo; it's not like you'll be going thru it by the gallon, and you won't have to worry about giving your hound a case of seriously dry flaky skin.

*thinking wistfully of biannual bathing* Since the snow's melted (sometime in April), I've bathed my two hounds at least three times, and they're going in again today. Anytime it rains they MUST find the muddiest part of the yard and race madly through it. Then comes the mud wrestling. If they're not covered from nose to tail tip in dirt and mud after a romp, then the rainy day was a complete waste. :lol

I have dog bathing goodies at home, but most of the time we take the dogs to a "do it yourself" dog wash. It's relatively inexpensive, especially considering that by going there I don't have to wash out tubs or towels after my pups are sparkly clean. It's a heck of a lot quicker, too, since my husband and I can each wash a dog at the same time. And then of course they get loved on and treated by everyone who works there. They love their bath days.

Guest maryjo79

I used baby shampoo and it made Spud and Sadie itchy and dry. Now I use 'earthbath good for the planet totally natural pet shampoo' aloe and oatmeal. It was $15 a bottle.

I don't know if it's on the site yet, but this is where I got it Shampoo You could just pm or email her if you were interested.

Ingredients: Purified water, natural cleansers. collodial oatmeal, aloe vera, almond and vanilla essences, olive oil squalene (preservative)

This product contains no DEA, arabens, phosphates, synthetic dyes or perfumes. The sudsy runoff is completely safe and will not harm kids, lawns, or other living things.

I like that. GTer Boomooanddoo put me on to this product (she uses it on her pups) and I love it. It's worth the $15 to me because after having bathed them twice, the bottle is still almost full and will probably last me at least two years :)

Edited by maryjo79

Guest JoyceJ

Funny that this subject has come up.....

I just took a foster grey to a dermatologist (he has major allergies). She recommended that we bathe him ONE A WEEK for the next month or so using KERATOLUX shampoo and RELIEF creme rinse. I've just used both on him for the first time and he sparkles!! (He's a black tuxedo).

On "normal" greys, I use NATURE'S HALO $10.95 plus shipping for a 16 OZ bottle. (100% natural ingredients!!)

NATURE'S HALO SHAMPOO

Someone already mentioned that the reson NOT to use human shampoos is the Ph factor.

Guest longdogs

There are plenty of good, cheap dog shampoos. We found a brilliant one, correctly Ph balanced and lightly scented with tea-tree oil, for about $8 a litre. We've had the bottle a couple of years now and there's still plenty left. It does a really good job and leaves the greys soft, silky, itch-free and smelling gorgeous. Liquid wool-wash detergent is also very good and inexpensive, just use it sparingly.