My Sweet Doggie Has A Loose Toenail!

Guest Dinabird

Guest Dinabird

She skidded on the grass while running and now her toe nail is loose and the web is red and bruised with some bleeding that has stopped now. I cleaned it with warm water and anti-bacterial soap and gave her a baby asprin. But should I tape it or something? How long does it take to heal something like this? What else should I do?

She is my first Grey. She is 7 and otherwise very healthy. I feel so bad. Should I get TheraPaws for her to wear from now on? What advice do you have for me?

Dina

Guest sheila

If the toenail is truly loose I wonder if it's damaged to the point where she may lose it. If it was one of my dogs I think I would keep it clean and maybe put a TheraPaw on it until it heals.

I don't think you need her wearing TheraPaws full time though. Just make sure and keep her nails trimmed up so there is less risk of an injury. I try and keep my dogs nails about 1/4" off the floor when they are standing.

Guest Dinabird

Thank you Sheila. Just made me feel a bit more calm. I am a pretty practical person but as I am learning these dogs have a way of making a normally intelligent and reasoned adult into a big emotional blob!!

She is doing fine. I made a dressing for her pads out of a pad! (bit of woman humor there) those extra thins cut to shape are really grayt!! :colgate and I used nice blue masking tape to fasten on a plastic baggie when she has to go out for potty. Once back inside I clean by pouring warm water with mild soap over it after removing the pad and she goes back to sleep. I don't know how long it will take to heal but I am going to get some EVO RM tomorrow as I do know healing comes from within.

tks again

Dina