Jump to content

Raisin And Grape Toxicity


Guest Lorraineandcrew
 Share

Recommended Posts

Guest Lorraineandcrew

 

Hi all,

 

I have never heard of this before, but it was worth my while to read it. I have given Dash grapes, along with other fruits, I think I'll leave them out now.

 

 

Have a Dog? -- Pass This On --KNOW SOMEONE THAT HAS A DOG....Pass it on!!!

 

This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old maleneutered lab mix that ate half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30PM on Tuesday. ÊHe started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on Wednesday but the owner didn't call my emergency service until 7AM.

 

I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing acute Renal failure but hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the dog in immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet, and the doctor there was like me - had hear d something about it, but....

 

 

Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and they said to give IV fluids at 1 ¸ times maintenance and watch the kidney values for the next 48-72 hours.

 

The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less than 27) and creatinine over 5 (1.9 is the high end of normal). ÊBoth are monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter and started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN was over 40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of fluids.

 

 

At the point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as overnight care.

 

He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have continued to increase daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still couldn't control his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again, his BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed to 220.. He continued to vomit and the owners elected to euthanize.

 

This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very serious risk. Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats including our ex-handler's. Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern.

 

Laurinda Morris, DVM

ÊDanville Veterinary Clinic

ÊDanville, Ohio

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest D_MansMommy

No raisins or grapes in our house are fed to pets or left out. Dh likes an occassional grape but we keep them in the fridge. I don't like raisins so we don't have them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Winterwish

Thank you so much for posting this. :) It's so important!

 

I keep my raisins in a jar for safety,my grey is really drawn to them and does try to ask for some.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest SoulsMom

Thanks for the info, I never knew . . . . .and Soul has a penchant for trying to slurp my wine from time to time, a double whammy!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...