Kate's Histiocytoma Surgery

Guest LancePearson

Guest LancePearson

On Monday, Kate had a penny sized and 1/8" high skin related mass removed from the skin on her rear chest area surgically. The biopsy came back as a benign histiocytoma which the Va. Tech trained vet, Dr. Burkey, thought it would. They were great treating it as a bug bite initially and then as this. We elected to get the thing removed so nothing further developed.

The vet was good and had me come in to the recovery room the minute they laid her on blankets on the floor to recover from the inhaled isoflurane anesthetic to reassure her. She got seven stitches and about a 2 or 2.5" incision with small stitches neatly done across the width as he skin is very thin and somewhat sensitive. It was not fun to help her as she went from completely involuntary motions at first recovering with no control of her tongue, eyes, legs running, trying to regain the ability to sit or even look. I held her head and talked to her as she cried with each breath for five minutes. I knew it was a help when I rested my hand from where I was sitting in a chair and leaning down and she got very agitated. It wasn't long until she could keep her tongue in her mouth, sniff with her nose, quit crying with each breath and stop running with her front legs. After about 45 minutes she was able to stand all wobbly like a colt on her own and was comforted by my presence. We waited another half hour to be safe to get her home and she has done well...no swelling, no seepage, no infection or odor and normal activities if slightly subdued while the inhaled isoflurane anesthetic exits her body.

We're glad we did it to prevent further evolution if it might have happend but it was very hard to help her through the recovery.

The vet knew we were close, knew that she was smart and sensitive and knew this would help and suggested it.

We will have her stitches out the 31st which is ten days post surgery. The lab fees for the biopsy by the lab were 1/3 the total bill.

Lance, Karen and Kate Pearson

Guest greytexplorer

Hello, Pearsons!

So glad to hear that Kate is back on her feet. Sounds very promising.

Thanks for posting all the technical information regarding her surgery.

I have 7- and 10-yr-old greygirls, and want to get "boned up" on all these greyhound medical issues. Who knows when/if I'll have the same issues to deal with, and at least I'll be aware.

Hope you all get a good night's sleep, and continue down the road of good health/healing.

:f_white:thumbs-up

I am so glad that this is all behind you now. Sending gentle hugs. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest LancePearson

The anesthetic used was inhaled Isoflurane or Isoflouranes in the version for dogs and horses. I'm no vet but it seems to be the one used often and successfully for greys.

She has had a little less energy preferring slightly more rest than normal as I said but today seemed to have her normal amount as the chemicals worked their way out of her system. Surgery is always a shock to any creature's system including humans.

I'm told that the reason Isoflurane anesthetic gases were developed was to replace those used on humans and animals in the 1970's which were very flammable and a problem that way in O.R's. I'm told that flourinated gases are not.

I'd say her recovery has been amazingly good and continues to be. there was an area of slightly reddened skin near the incision but that was where they clipped her hair with electric clippers I believe and the A and D ointment worked well to get that clipper burn gone quickly.

I remain surprised how many antibiotics, etc. work for her just as they do for humans...neosporin, A and D, Benedryl, etc.

Lance, Karen and Kate Pearson