Started On Merrick...which Doesn't Seem To Be A Popular Choice...s

Guest fenix916

Guest fenix916

I know we should expect soft stool or tummy trouble when first switching food. How long do we let that ride out? We bought Hugs some Merrick classic chicken/brown rice/pea. He WOLFS it down, but his stools have been a bit soft. Not really runny (some of it has been a little runny), but mostly it's been stool shaped, just too soft (i.e. hard to cleanly pick up). How long do we ride this out before switching?

Obviously, we're mixing this in with his old food, which has been homemade broth, chicken, and white rice. He had the runs when we first got him, hence the homemade food. His stool was a touch soft on that too, but better. We've only been putting in one-third to one-half a cup of kibble in with his normal food. Not a strong reaction to the new food, but definitely there.

Should I try some canned pumpkin?

We do like cooking, and we like cooking for the dog. But he came to us somewhat underweight (according to the vet and rescue group), and he gets a fair amount of exercise (two vigorous 30+min walks a day, plus little trots to go out)---point being trying to a bulk up an underweight hound on just home cooking takes a LOT of cooking. I feel like I spend more time cooking and portioning up his food than I do food for me and my wife. Plus we want to make sure we're getting a nutritional balance and the kibble seems like insurance on that front.

Oh! And we had blood and stool tests done at his first vet visit---things weren't that bad, but I figured we'd do while he was there anyway.

Guest wylie_coyote

Welcome Fenix916

I am by no means an expert an there is lots of good advise on this board. So I am sure you will get lots of suggestions. There are lots of websites on making pet foods and how much to feed and making a diet for your pet.

Every hound is different so you will need to figure out what works best for Hugs and you. We have 5 currently and they each get different portions every meal and we will add and subtract if we see weight gain or lose. I have 1 who looks at food and gains weight and another who can't keep weight on so it is a constant battle.

Pumpkin can be good there is a debate over that. (it did help ours for awhile and they like it still use it in treats). But bone is also good to firm up stool.

We feed a raw chicken quarter to each pup every morning they love it and it is simple and quick.

Dinner is a mash that we make in bulk probably once a week which can include about anything but a typical Mash would be:

10 lbs of meat (ground beef or ground whole chickens)

1 box old fashion oat meal

12 eggs

leftover vegetables raw or cooked, or a V8 type juice (pureed in the ninja)

organ (usually livers, gizzards, hearts pureed again)

rice or pasta

Dinner is 1-2 cups of this and .5-1 cup of kibble it depends on the dog. They also get some vitamin supplements, fish oil, cosequin etc as needed with this meal.

Take your time and transition between foods like you are doing. If you want to do add ins or supplements do them 1 at a time to see how he does with each one. Be patient this could take time to find his best diet but have fun with it, if you like to cook and be in the kitchen experiment with things. There are lots of homemade treats you can make too that are fun for you and him. A good one for weight gain is Satin Balls there are lots of recipes out there but the dogs love them.