Changing Food Questions

Guest kahjul

Guest kahjul

Sorry, I know this has been done to death. I have 2 adult greys, baby Carl from the greysave 6-formerly Bentley-not a baby anymore (almost a year old and 70#), and a very senior lab. I have been feeding Iams for several years and recently switched Carl to the green bag as well and off the puppy formula. I also feed Nupro supplement and I cook a homemade ground beef, egg & rice mix. Everyone is doing well, no runny poop, great coats, etc. I priced it out and realized I could be feeding a high quality food, with much less work for what I'm spending-not to mention the time involved. Did some research and put everyone on Natural Balance. Had a week of blending and weaning them of old food, onto new food. Some runny poops, but not too bad. Have now been on only NB for 3 days-they all love it by the way-and not a solid poop to be found! Nothing that even has any form to it. How long do I let this go on until I try something else?

Guest Roc

I didn't have any luck with solid poop either on NB. I have them on Diamond Naturals and they're doing pretty good so far.

Guest sirsmom

if you want to keep them on NB you could just mix a little Iams in. I currently am feeding one of mine Pro Plan lamb focus and they are doing awesome. The one I am feeding Pro Plan to gets tired of the taste of Iams, but it sure works in the tummy dept.

I don't know about NB but IMO, the runny, non-formed poos are not gonna change. Three days, in addition to the weaning time, is enough time to know if the food is going to work. If Iams in Green bag works, is there a problem with feeding them just that? My girl has a great coat, is healthy (other than an auto-immune disease of the eyes) and had a lot of energy and she's only on Iams. The minute I add anything to her diet, her poos deteriorate to pudding. Iams is the only food that keeps things formed.

Guest kahjul

I have one that won't eat just Iams. She has to have all the meat and yummy things mixed in which is just becoming a PITA. Of course, I can't just give it to her, I feel bad, so then I'm doing it for everyone and yikes! The time, money, etc is killing me. I saw another thread on a couple of other foods, so I'm going to try another post looking for more precise info.