Diatomaceous Earth?

Guest roweboy

Guest roweboy

I also posted this in health & medical...I'm new here so not sure in which category the question fits best...

One of the adoption people who did our home visit told us she uses a TBS per day of diatomaceous earth (food quality) in her dog's food every day. I read up on this and it sounds safe and has the potential to provide some great health benefits. Apparently people can take it, too (I did yesterday). I ordered some on Amazon and have been giving it to my dog for 3 days now. Actually, his breakfast this am was disgusting: grain-free kibble, a scoop of pumpkin, a TBS of this earth stuff, a TBS of salmon oil and some hot water. Good lord, did he love it! A frozen turkey neck this afternoon = one happy hound!

Does anyone else know about this or use it? Dog use? People use??

I'm a HUGE fan of DE for insect control here in FL - and doG knows we have our share and everyone else's share of them! I have never used it nor have I added it to dog food, but I understand that a lot of folks do.

The only cautionary statement I have is to use 100% pure DE. Most food grade DE contains fillers.

Edited by duncan41

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rathma

I use food grade DE faithfully everyday for the dogs. I also use it in the garden to rid of slugs etc., I love this stuff and have found many uses for it outside of it's benefits for the hounds.

It's very good on ant hills and you can sprinkle a litle on the dogs back when it's black fly/mosquitoe season!

Edited by rathma

• 3 weeks later...

I was adding DE (food grade) to my dogs meals once a day very regularly, but stopped when winter came (I figure intestinal parasites don't' spread so easily when it's cold enough that snot freezes in your nose...). I might start up again when the weather starts to get consistently warmer. I'm not sure if it made any difference but he did not have any worms last year.

Most important thing is to make sure it's well mixed in with the wet food as it can be dangerous to inhale the powder.

I also use DE (household grade) in the corners of the bathroom to kill silverfish. We live in a very old building on the lowest floor so we used to get a lot of creepy crawlies. After just a few uses of DE, we haven't seen another silver fish in a year.