Gastric Issues Again

Guest Eyeblaura

Guest Eyeblaura

So last January Enzo had a bout of bloody stool, took him in the vet said HGE did a round of flagyl and endsorb and he bounced back quickly.

I came home today at 4 oclock opened the door and thought something died in my house. Enzo had total liquid diarrhea and vomited in the house. He seemed fine yesterday but didnt eat breakfast today and this evening continued to vomit bile several more times and then the diarrhea turned to just blood and he was panting and pacing and obviously uncomfortable so rather then wait until the morning I took him to the e-vet tonight in the hopes we could all get some sleep. No fever or dehydration or tenderness. She gave him a shot of cerenia and 10 days of flagyl and bland diet with fortiflora added.

He hasn't vomited anymore and is finally settled and sleeping so he must be feeling a bit better.

Has anyone had a dog get this sort of thing repeatedly (although these episodes were almost a year apart). Is it worth asking my vet for some flagyl to keep on hand for just such a thing? Any tips on removing stains from carpet?

Of COURSE it's worth having Flagyl on hand. You absolutely need it!! My dog has way lesser issues and I would never be without Flagyl on hand. You absolutely need to start it at the very first sign of anything amiss.

Yes, I can think of at least two GT members (Soulsmom and Merlinsmum) whose hounds have had repeated HGE incidents, I know there are others. Both of those hounds can ONLY eat Prescription I/D I believe. (My hound is on it steadily too, for different reasons, and does wonderfully.) I would suggest visiting your regular vet within a day or so and developing strategies for managing what will probably be a recurrent issue.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

The boy I adopted had recurring gastric upset like clockwork. Early in the month, he'd wake up early with diarrhea, then he'd eat it, then he'd vomit it up. A round of Metronidazole took care of it. Then the exact same day the next month he did the same thing. The vet had no idea what was causing it and said to muzzle him because he was likely pooping in his crate and eating it overnight (which I never believed but did anyway just in case that was it). Unfortunately I had to give Eli back to the rescue (for reasons unrelated to the gastric upset) before I knew if the muzzling was taking care of the problem. But yeah, it's definitely possible to have recurring bowel issues. I hope you can figure out what's going on with your boy and how to make it stop!

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

Guest Eyeblaura

Thanks guys. I'll talk to my regular vet about keeping some flagyl on hand. I don't think it's food setting him off since the incidents are almost a year apart. But who knows. I offered him a small amount of canned prescription I/D this morning but be wasn't interested.

He slept well last night and we didn't have any more issues. He did drink a lot this morning and was enjoying the warmer weather outside for a bit and is now sleeping again. Can tell he still doesn't feel great but he is much better then last night.

Guest grey_dreams

Thanks guys. I'll talk to my regular vet about keeping some flagyl on hand. I don't think it's food setting him off since the incidents are almost a year apart. But who knows. I offered him a small amount of canned prescription I/D this morning but be wasn't interested.

He slept well last night and we didn't have any more issues. He did drink a lot this morning and was enjoying the warmer weather outside for a bit and is now sleeping again. Can tell he still doesn't feel great but he is much better then last night.

Could still be the food, so don't discount it. Even if he is getting the same brand/flavor of kibble and treats, the ingredients can vary between lots. Ingredients can be sourced from different sources, and you would never know.

I believe that Robin had success with Beau by putting him on a home-cooked diet with fish as the main ingredient. You can do a search of the forum to pull up her posts.

Could still be the food, so don't discount it. Even if he is getting the same brand/flavor of kibble and treats, the ingredients can vary between lots. Ingredients can be sourced from different sources, and you would never know.

This is absolutely not the case with prescription foods and some others, BTW. There is a difference between "fixed formula" foods and others. http://303animalclinic.com/tag/fixed-formula/

I really think you should look back at past posts by Soulsmom and Merlinsmum. RobinM's Beau has very severe IBD which is less like your dog than Soul and Merlin, who have had recurrent episodes of HGE.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest grey_dreams

This is absolutely not the case with prescription foods and some others, BTW.

Yeah, but it wasn't the prescription food that potentially made him ill. And she said that he refused to eat canned I/D ... so I suggested home cooking. :)