Less Than 24 Hours Away!

Guest LewisHWilson

Guest karilynn

woohoo! sounds like things are going pretty well. he will adjust in time and you'll be amazed at what a different dog you have in a year.

if he's pulling too much, I recently purchased a no-pull harness for my greyhound and it is amazing. he can't pull with it at all and i feel safe knowing that he cant get out of it and run off.

Guest KatyC

First night went ok. I put the crate in my room and he slept the whole night.

Now...when I got up this morning he was a BIG ball of energy. I took him for a 30 min walk when he calmed down a bit and he pulled a lot of the way. Not to mention, he made a duty of epic proportions!

He does pant for the first 10 minutes after coming in from the walk. Then he walks over to a window and starts whimpering. After other 10 minutes and a little water it's nap time again.

Peggy kept panting on and off for nearly the first month as she often got spooked about things.So don't be too alarmed if you notice it for a while. I agree with everyone the first week or so, just keep it calm and chilled, have some walks, play some games, feed lots of treats and nice things and practice alone training. It sounds like you are doing well though!

How is Rocket doing?

Please remember that many Greyhounds simply cannot spend the night with their people out of their sight. You have started with him in your room so it will probably stay that way - that's good IMO.

Another thing to be aware of is that some Greyhounds cannot tolerate being locked in a crate if they cannot see their people. He may be fine when you are present, but if he shows any signs of freaking out in the crate when you are absent, get him out of their quick and find another solution.

Ditto what everyone says about the walks. I would walk him as much as he is physically able to handle. It eliminates so many potential problems.