Still Wont Come In Front Door And Now Doesnt Want To Come In From Gard

Guest KatyC

Lots of good suggestions already. Just another thought...at times when you're not on a time schedule to leave, have you tried just leaving her outside? Will she eventually want to come in on her own? Assuming your garden is secure, and/or you can keep an eye on her from the window, you might want to see how she does with this when you're not in a hurry to get her back in. Sometimes all the fuss makes the whole situation more stressful for the dog. Obviously during times when you have to leave, you'll need to use another method to just get her in, but when you're able to, try just leaving her alone.

Most of the time, my dogs are good about coming in as soon as they're done with their business outside. They always get a treat when they come in, and especially when it's before mealtime, they come right away. But in the evenings, sometimes they want to stay out, sniffing around, looking for things to eat in the yard (mostly rabbit or deer pellets). When they do this, they only get a treat if they come when I call. If they don't come, I just leave them outside, and they're usually ready to come in anywhere from 10-30 min later, sometimes longer. They'll come bark at the door when they're ready. Just tonight, both my greyhounds and the whippet didn't want to come in, so I left them out and went back in the house to watch TV. Wiki was barking to come in 10 min later, and the other two asked to come in 45 min later. It was fairly cold, about 40 F (4 C). They were fine, and I figure they can't be too cold if they choose not to come in.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest KatyC

Lots of good suggestions already. Just another thought...at times when you're not on a time schedule to leave, have you tried just leaving her outside? Will she eventually want to come in on her own? Assuming your garden is secure, and/or you can keep an eye on her from the window, you might want to see how she does with this when you're not in a hurry to get her back in. Sometimes all the fuss makes the whole situation more stressful for the dog. Obviously during times when you have to leave, you'll need to use another method to just get her in, but when you're able to, try just leaving her alone.

Most of the time, my dogs are good about coming in as soon as they're done with their business outside. They always get a treat when they come in, and especially when it's before mealtime, they come right away. But in the evenings, sometimes they want to stay out, sniffing around, looking for things to eat in the yard (mostly rabbit or deer pellets). When they do this, they only get a treat if they come when I call. If they don't come, I just leave them outside, and they're usually ready to come in anywhere from 10-30 min later, sometimes longer. They'll come bark at the door when they're ready. Just tonight, both my greyhounds and the whippet didn't want to come in, so I left them out and went back in the house to watch TV. Wiki was barking to come in 10 min later, and the other two asked to come in 45 min later. It was fairly cold, about 40 F (4 C). They were fine, and I figure they can't be too cold if they choose not to come in.

We have left her out for about 20 minutes before and she makes no signs of wanting to come back in. I suppose we are anxious to leave her out without watching her as our garden is pretty secure but there is one corner that she might be able to jump over, we have a meadow behind the garden (not ours) and there's all sorts of wildlife and very noisy badgers in there and she did once hear them rustling and tried to jump the fence (we have now put in a higher fence in this bit) I guess once we have completely secured the garden we can leave her out for longer without having to sit and watch her! I think she'll just look for mischief to get up to though!!

We going to try the trainers method for a week and see how that goes. Once it gets warmer it wont be such an issue as we will leave the door open anyway.

I hate winter!!

Thanks again for all your replies, lots of things to try if this way doesn't get any results.