Belly Band

Guest DeniseL

Guest DeniseL

Hi everyone! So its day 3 we have had Miami (male) home here with Thyme (female). They are getting along famously!! Except for one or two little growls in the beginning, they have been like old friends.

Or biggest challenges so far have been so serious statuing on walks (to the point that I was in tears this morning after our walk, or drag would be a better word) and some marking.

I was looking for some feedback on using a belly band. He had been basically wearing it for 3 days because we just can't trust him to not lift his leg. We have been taking it off when he goes out and when he its crated at night. Is there any danger in keeping it on for long periods? Rash, uti, etc? Is there any technique for weening him off of it? iIm just wondering if we are using it correctly as a training device. He tried to lift his leg once yesterday and twice today...

Thanks!

Denise

Sorry can't help you on the belly band but don't worry about the statuing just yet. It is just day 3. It could take as long as a couple of months until Miami learns to love his walks. Miami may be emotionally shattered from the recent changes he has gone through. I never realized how depressed my dog was when I got him until I saw the change that occured over the following six months. Please no tears - just lots of patience and confident leadership is what Miami needs. (My appologies because I think you inquired about this issue in another thread.)

Edited by KickReturn

Hi everyone! So its day 3 we have had Miami (male) home here with Thyme (female). They are getting along famously!! Except for one or two little growls in the beginning, they have been like old friends.

Or biggest challenges so far have been so serious statuing on walks (to the point that I was in tears this morning after our walk, or drag would be a better word) and some marking.

I was looking for some feedback on using a belly band. He had been basically wearing it for 3 days because we just can't trust him to not lift his leg. We have been taking it off when he goes out and when he its crated at night. Is there any danger in keeping it on for long periods? Rash, uti, etc? Is there any technique for weening him off of it? iIm just wondering if we are using it correctly as a training device. He tried to lift his leg once yesterday and twice today...

Thanks!

Denise

What you call statuing , I call planting. I got Annie Bella just a year ago this month, and she used to do this all the time. I HATED and DREADED walking her. This comes up every once in a while and I can feel your pain because it is painful to be on a public street and have this dog just stop and refuse to move!! Someone else asked about this today and my suggestions are here:

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/288132-walking/

Lol that was my husband asking :) can you guys tell we are new to all this ;) thanks so much for the feedback....

Ya know, I wondered if it was the same houndie. LOL Good luck. I know your frustration, embarrassment and irritation. My Annie Bella **hated** to have me push her but it got her moving.