Hypothyroidism And Aggression?

Guest barkdogs

Guest barkdogs

Hi all,

I know there are some links between thyroid issues and a certain grumpiness or aggression in greys (and other breeds too) Is it specifically hypothyroidism? I ask because one of my guys has gotten a bit leash aggressive to other dogs. He has always been a bit uneasy around some strange dogs but it seems to have escalated lately--he bit another dog the other day (a fellow greyhound!) and, while the owner was super nice about it, it still is something that I am quite concerned about.

His T-4 is low (6 if I remember right) and we are going for more bloodwork tomorrow to get a comprehensive thyroid panel done. I know greys tend to have low-normal levels--my vet is aware of this too.

Is it hypothyroidism in greys that can cause increased aggression? Or is it hyperthyroidism? I know that the former is somewhat common and the later, not common. I know that increased aggression can be a symptom of hyperthyroidism; does it also work that way (potentially) with hypothyroidism? I am curious what experiences you guys have had.

I am working with an excellent behaviorist/trainer too--but if there is a medical component to his behavior I want to learn as much about it as I can. I am hopeful that a small pill twice a day can inhibit this trend. In the mean time, poor dude has to wear his muzzle in public, just in case. I love him like crazy and I am determined to do what I can to keep him healthy and safe--but also safe to be around!

Thanks!

We did have our newish greyhound get defensively "aggressive" (growling and snapping if we got too close to his neck, while having previously enjoyed spooning and snuggling).suddenly after two months. He also became tired quickly on walks and was having mild seizures (snapping at things that weren't there). So we did the panel, found him hypothyroid, and the problems cleared up within days of starting the medicine. If the thyroid is involved, you're right, it's more likely to be hypo than hyper. But, sure, especially non-defensive aggression could result from hyper-thyroidism.

You're right to do the panel. Interpretation of results can be a whole 'nother can of worms, but no need to worry about that right now. I really hope it's that, because it's such an easy fix compared to some other issues. Others have also had this aggression issue with hypothyroid greyhounds, so it's not unheard of at all, though it's not super frequent either. I think it's most likely with normally very confident dogs, like ours, who then feel intolerably vulnerable when the lose that energy and vigor, and get whatever other problems may be involved in their particular case (e.g., joint and muscle soreness). Hope you get it sorted out easily and soon!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest barkdogs

I have been doing some reading and I think it is worth considering as a possibility. I read that some low-normal dogs may develop the sudden aggression--it's sort of like he just has no impulse control. Also that some of these dogs are skinny instead of the more common symptom of being overweight--and my boy has always been impossible to keep weight on. And he eats like a horse! I think I will see about having the folks at hemopet look at the results. Can't hurt!

Yes, ours was thin too, despite being hypothyroid -- not skinny, but certainly not overweight. As far as that goes, I'm hypothyroid and had the same skinny presentation, with an abundance of hair!

ETA: Do you have two threads going, with the same title?

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Here's also a new piece on Life with Dogs you might consider. Not that it's a shock, but a study has shown the connection between pain and aggression.

http://www.lifewithd...ession-in-dogs/

Guest barkdogs

Interesting that you should post that--this guy had several surgeries for an untreated fracture he sustained as a 3 or 4 month old pup. WHile he had the plate in his leg, he would get grouchy lying down if any other dog got near his leg. Unsurprising as that plate was under the skin and would sting if bumped and when cold. Eventually he had it removed once his leg healed enough.

His aggression is not pain related though--he lives with a bunch of other animals and gets on well with them 98% of the time. It's when on walks--it's weird because it is not consistent. Almost as though he just has no impulse control. It's hard to explain--it almost seems like it isn't him. In any case, he had more bloodwork done--ultra thorough (and pricy) thyroid panel. If he is hypothyroid, who knows if it is a contributing factor, but it is worth exploring!