Change In Habits

Guest saltwaterron

Guest saltwaterron

it has been a year now since riley was diagnosed with an enlarged heart. she seems to be holding her own and i have not noticed any major health changes. however, lately a couple of her habits have changed. 4 or 5 times a week she will not come out of her crate til after lunch time. she seems to be content just sleeping. also, her appetite seems to have changed some. when she does get up there is no interest in eating. she may eat later in the day or on occasion will eat in the morning and not in the evening. is this just another oddity of the greyhound nature or does this indicate health issues involving her heart? your thoughts, please.

It could mean any number of things, but you are right to notice this as a change in behavior. I'd run some blood work, perhaps to include thyroid, do a fecal, and have the vet go over Riley with his/her hands to see if there's any discoverable pain anywhere. Lots of things can develop or worsen besides the heart as time goes by, like arthritis, lumbosacral stenosis, thyroid trouble, liver issues...kind of an endless list of possibilities really. How old is Riley, by the way? What did the vet say about what to expect with Riley's heart?

I'll just mention that this same behavior change occurred with our Spencer a few months after he came to our home. Some months after that, after two false-negative fecals, we found the hookworm problem, which by then was very advanced. And a couple years later, when he actually started tripping, we discovered the LSS but figured that had had something to do with his long-time reluctance to get up in the a.m. Not saying that any of this correspond's to Riley's situation, but just sharing some of the experience that makes your post resonate with me.

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest saltwaterron

thanks for the input. i may need to call the vet. riley will be 7 in august. vet just keeps impressing on me that even though riley may not show signs today of anything wrong, that with a heart condition changes could occur overnight. not a bright outlook for my little girl

Keep us posted. Hope what you're seeing is one of the easier problems and not an advance in Riley's heart disease. :hope

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).