Teaching Your Greyhound To Share

Guest emma

I definitely agree with the poster above who mentioned hand feeding. I did that for the first month and it really helped Jayne bond to me. I also used dinner time as time to work on obedience training. I was able to get her to stay, target, and wait within weeks. Not only was it fun to learn how smart my new dog really was, it helped us to bond and how to communicate with each other more effectively.

Yep, I agree too. I will definitely do that ^_^

Instead of viewing a growl as a threat, I see growls simply as one way our dogs try to communicate with us. A dog growling because he doesn't want to get off the couch isn't trying to "challenge your authority" - he is just saying he doesn't want to leave the comfy spot. Imagine you're curled up relaxing on the couch...someone walks up and tries to pull you off. Would you protest? I do believe that we should teach our dogs to get off the furniture when we ask, but it's a learning process, not something we can expect dogs to automatically understand.

Excellent advice and comments from Chad. I would also like to point out that greyhounds aren't unique in this regard. Everything Chad wrote also applies to dogs in general. Dogs as a species are very adaptable, and many are remarkably tolerant of human indiscretions that are very rude on canine terms. Because of this, even people who have owned dogs all their lives may not be aware that it's not natural for dogs to accept certain interactions. It's not until you live with, and love, a dog that has more difficulty adapting to human society and culture that you start to learn what real canine behavior is like.

Here's an excellent article about "normal dogs" that just came to my attention recently.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg