Beth Needs Good Thoughts

Guest Energy11

YOUR VET ROCKS!!!

I miss that, I really do! My vet/former employer in Florida was like that.

Sounds like you are doing all the right things, and it does sound like bruising that is causing a lot of the swelling. I'd definintely go with the antibiotics, x-rays, and maybe see what the vet thinks about giving a NSAID like Deramaxx or Rimadyl, which also helps the swelling, and of course, the pain. (*she may already be on this :)

Sending love, hugs and good thoughts your way!

Dee and The Five.

:) The vet didn't mention it and I didn't think to ask while I was there, but I did give her a Deramaxx when I got home -- figured it couldn't hurt and might help. I'll ask tomorrow about continuing.

I also just ordered a box of fancy Belgian truffles for the vet staff (not too big a box, as I'm sapped from all my vet bills between Beth and the cats) -- I realized today that with my immense gratitude and, really, love not only for my vet but for everybody at the hospital, I need to acknowledge them for the holiday.

Good move on there Deramaxx! I really think it will help. How is she doing today?

RE: the goodies for the vet ... I still send a huge Figis assortment to my former vet/employer in Florida! I give my vet here something, too :)

Hope Beth feels better, soon!

See my update in the post right above yours -- guess we were posting simultaneously!

Vet-gift-wise, I wanted to get Godiva chocolates, as I still recall what an amazing, exotic treat they were when my parents (physicians) got them from patients a few times while I was growing up, but a reasonable amount for the whole staff would have been beyond my budget at present. The emergency visit and antibiotics were around $235 as it was (another reason I'm happy to not have to do the x-rays!).

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest Energy11

See my update in the post right above yours -- guess we were posting simultaneously!

Vet-gift-wise, I wanted to get Godiva chocolates, as I still recall what an amazing, exotic treat they were when my parents (physicians) got them from patients a few times while I was growing up, but a reasonable amount for the whole staff would have been beyond my budget at present. The emergency visit and antibiotics were around $235 as it was (another reason I'm happy to not have to do the x-rays!).

GREAT news! It really did sound more along the lines of a puncture wound/infection. Glad you were able to save some money, too! I have been carrying Trupanion Pet Insurance on ALL FIVE, seniors. The premiums are going up and up, ... I guess I will raise the deductibles.

You and Beth relax and enjoy!

p.s. Godiva chocolates rock~ :)

For anyone wondering about an update, Beth's toe is doing well. The vet checked it again today and the swelling is gone; basically we're waiting for the little wound where the puncture was to fully heal. The scab got knocked off yesterday when her foot bumped the edge of mine during a walk -- that made her tripod a few steps, so it's still evidently pretty sensitive. I'm still going to keep her on leash probably until after Christmas. (My vet definitely now is very up on "that thin greyhound skin" -- fortunately the wound is on the upper, outer part of the toe where it doesn't get rubbed by regular walking.)

Meanwhile, the no-charge visit involved a pre-Christmas love fest: Beth's favorite tech, whom she absolutely adores, brushed her with the Furminator and gave her some presents, and then the vet gave her a wonderful back and shoulder massage (he does acupuncture and chiropractic too so he really knows what he's doing). Beth was about to topple over she was so relaxed. :rolleyes:

Thanks so much! A tiny bit bummed about the leash restriction but we're supposed to have a stretch of mild weather so we'll get back out there, and can take some nice trail walks in the meantime! Happy holidays to your crew too.