Alone Training

Guest stacy6344

Guest jbbuzby

I'm glad he was okay.

I've heard good things about rescue remedy, though I've not tried it myself. I'm sure there are many articles or comments on greytalk that you could find about it. One last thing I will say that did help my guy in addition to the book, the meds, and the friend: having a regular schedule and routine. When he first started having problems, I started to tip-toe around leaving him alone and would walk on eggshells and drag my feet about it because I hated upsetting him so. In the long-run though, being very strict with a routine and having him go in his crate at regular intervals and increasing the time really made his learning most effective. So, for example, if you know you're always going to crate him when you shower, don't invite someone over to be with him or wait until someone else gets home so they never have to be alone. Be sure to still practice leaving him as much as he can stand with lots of repetition and stick to a schedule: I think Ferguson would have done better had I done that from the start. I am SO glad to say he that it is finally paying off and he is surviving now and can be left. It feels SO GOOD to be able to say that.

I also thought he hated the crate, but for various reasons, we've had to go back to it, and he's been doing just fine. So hang in there! It sounds like Trip can do it!

Guest stacy6344

I'm glad he was okay.

I've heard good things about rescue remedy, though I've not tried it myself. I'm sure there are many articles or comments on greytalk that you could find about it. One last thing I will say that did help my guy in addition to the book, the meds, and the friend: having a regular schedule and routine. When he first started having problems, I started to tip-toe around leaving him alone and would walk on eggshells and drag my feet about it because I hated upsetting him so. In the long-run though, being very strict with a routine and having him go in his crate at regular intervals and increasing the time really made his learning most effective. So, for example, if you know you're always going to crate him when you shower, don't invite someone over to be with him or wait until someone else gets home so they never have to be alone. Be sure to still practice leaving him as much as he can stand with lots of repetition and stick to a schedule: I think Ferguson would have done better had I done that from the start. I am SO glad to say he that it is finally paying off and he is surviving now and can be left. It feels SO GOOD to be able to say that.

I also thought he hated the crate, but for various reasons, we've had to go back to it, and he's been doing just fine. So hang in there! It sounds like Trip can do it!

Yes, it is frustrating. I know he can do it because his foster mom crated him at night and when she had to go out (she worked from home so it wasn't a lot). I think my IG barking in his crate when I first leaves upsets Tripp too. I did leave him in the crate some this weekend. While I went next door, while I took a shower, etc. Played the crate game...put treats in there and had him go in and out. Started feeding him in there. I just hope it gets better. It's very stressful on me and I know it is on him as well. Doggy day care isn't cheap!

Guest jbbuzby

I know...I wouldn't be able to afford it too often if I didn't work at the facility itself. Hopefully he just needs a little remedial reminding of how to do it. Once you get up to an hour though, you're usually home free. Dog's sense of time isn't too terribly great!