Cold Floors?

Guest amazing_gracie

Guest BrindleBoy

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!! Gracie is back to walking freely over the hardwood (a bit cautious, but not slipping at all), so I'm a bit baffled as to what brought on the behavior. It has been a bit warmer the last few days, so who knows?? :o But if this crops up again, I guess I'll be rearranging the rugs so she has a carpeted path to walk...

It's funny, I bet none of would do that for our CHILDREN...we'd just tell them to "get over here now!" But for the DOG? Of course! :P

Guest amazing_gracie

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!! Gracie is back to walking freely over the hardwood (a bit cautious, but not slipping at all), so I'm a bit baffled as to what brought on the behavior. It has been a bit warmer the last few days, so who knows?? :o But if this crops up again, I guess I'll be rearranging the rugs so she has a carpeted path to walk...

It's funny, I bet none of would do that for our CHILDREN...we'd just tell them to "get over here now!" But for the DOG? Of course! :P

Hahaha I agree, it seems a bit ridiculous! I don't want her to get injured, but I think she needs to get past the fear. Otherwise she'd just be confined to carpeted areas - no fun trips to the pet store or to our relatives homes where there's no choice but to walk on non-carpeted areas... I know she can do it! She's doing it right now. LOL

Guest happygrey

One of my girls actually makes a game out of running and sliding on the laminate floor :lol

I wish my girl made a game of it. It's been a bad day today with the floor situation. Crying, slipping, complete refusal to walk on the hardwood, a sort of panic attack (panting, shaking, cowering for about 10 minutes). All this from a dog that last week was just fine on the hardwood floor. I had to put rubber booties on her paws just to get her to the bedroom this evening. It has been very stressful for both of us. If this goes the way last winter went, I won't be able to take her to Petsmart because she'll freak out on their floors too. Why such a drastic regression?? :(

Edited to add that I trimmed her nails today and it made no difference at all. She curls her toes downward as soon as she steps off the rug and makes herself slip.

We have a hound who's pretty skittish on the hardwood floors. He often walks across them as though he's going through a minefield. We got runners and put them down on the big expanses of hard wood that didn't have area rugs. It made a huge difference. I'm sure she's this panicky because she fell at some point while on the floor when you weren't there. I'd suggest that you get some runners. With a happy hound you will be glad that you did!