Food Question

Guest BlackandTan

Mine's on special food for diarrhea, which is now under control, and because it costs $56 for 18# (it's a prescription food from the vet), I too will be changing to something else, but only after Annie's given me a couple of weeks of good stools, and I will switch very very slowly. So slowly that the amount will be measured by the number of kibbles exchanged rather than by parts of a cup, and I will try a food for sensitive stomachs.

Having said this, though, I'm kinda afraid to do anything to upset the cart. She did start on the 'script food and probiotics at the same time, as well as an antibiotic which she has finished, so I don't know if the probiotics, the food or a combo of both resolved the problem. She will remain on probiotics no matter what food I feed her.

Sometimes I look back on the good old days, i.e. my childhood, when the family Boxer and Boston Terrier got Gravy Train and both lived to a good age (12+ years). I know somebody who has 4 Greys and can't afford anything but Kibbles 'n Bits. All her dogs do well on it and none have intestinal problems. I don't see me going that route because I can afford a better food, but I admit it's all a bit much sometimes.

Some kibbles are coated with probiotics. I’m not sure they’re coated with enough to help situations like this, but I’ve noticed it on some of the higher end dog foods. Dogfoodadvisor.com typically mentions whether a food has them, or not, at the bottom of their write-ups.

jeffbettybanner2.jpg

Betty "Beauty" Joan. 63B-21375. June 2003 - March 2015. Thank you pretty girl!

Guest itsagreytlife

Mine's on special food for diarrhea, which is now under control, and because it costs $56 for 18# (it's a prescription food from the vet), I too will be changing to something else, but only after Annie's given me a couple of weeks of good stools, and I will switch very very slowly. So slowly that the amount will be measured by the number of kibbles exchanged rather than by parts of a cup, and I will try a food for sensitive stomachs.

Having said this, though, I'm kinda afraid to do anything to upset the cart. She did start on the 'script food and probiotics at the same time, as well as an antibiotic which she has finished, so I don't know if the probiotics, the food or a combo of both resolved the problem. She will remain on probiotics no matter what food I feed her.

Sometimes I look back on the good old days, i.e. my childhood, when the family Boxer and Boston Terrier got Gravy Train and both lived to a good age (12+ years). I know somebody who has 4 Greys and can't afford anything but Kibbles 'n Bits. All her dogs do well on it and none have intestinal problems. I don't see me going that route because I can afford a better food, but I admit it's all a bit much sometimes.

I hear ya on that one. My "new" 4 yr old girl had some type of skin problems when we got her and even though the excessive licking & biting has stopped, she still has very dry, flaky skin. And this is after switching her to a grain-free all salmon diet with the salmon oil. And while her bms are usually formed, they are still soft. (Being treated for hooks tho as well). I gave her some raw chicken the other night and didn't seem to have any reactions, so I will try it again and see where to go from there. That was my first "add-on" so still not sure what type of food is a problem for her. Thinking of trying one of the probiotics...remembering with fondness the old Gravy Train commercials as well. :rolleyes: