Toe Amputation

Guest patti909

Guest patti909

My Lacie has had 3 toe amputations, one on the front left foot, and 2 on the front right foot.

She now has large caliouses (spelling?) on the remaining toe pads and has difficukty walking.

Any suggestions???

Guest mbfilby

Poor pup! Can you look into orthopedic footwear? Even regular booties should help to equalize the pressure. Each toe handles an equal amount of weight, and when one is missing the others need to take on the extra burden. With multiple toes missing, the remaining toes are forced to bear more than they can handle.

How did she loose so many toes?

Are they calluses (seems entirely possible, but I've never heard of it) or corns? If they're calluses, could they be softened and filed down a bit the way you'd do for calluses on human feet? Are you sure it's the calluses causing the problem, vs. arthritis or something else? Have you consulted with your vet?

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest DebSzal

Gracie had her front toe amputated at the first joint due to a traumatic injury. She was fine for several years and just recently developed what I thought was a callous. Turns out it was a corn and we have not been successful in dealing with it. I use a Therapaw for whenever she has to walk on hard surfaces a lot and I will grind them down with a dremel and use some Bag Balm. No magic answer here, just some suggestions.

Guest patti909

Lacie lost 3 toe in 3 years after 6 major injuries with broken toes, dislocations and torn ligaments each time.

She is now no longer allowed off leash to run

She has seen the vet to be sure the callusses were not corn or other problems. He never suggested orthopedic booties for her.

Today i thought there must be something that can soften them. Is that what Bag Balm is for?

Where exactly are the calluses? In the middle or side of the pad? Can you post some photos? Calluses usually aren't painful, so I have to wonder if there's something else going on. Calluses form at areas of increased friction. Is part of the toe that usually isn't weight-bearing now contacting the ground due to the change in balance of the foot? I'm assuming your vet is grey-savvy and knows what corns look like?

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest patti909

The corns are not in the center.

I say they cause her pain because she will not go for walks, I could be wrong and she doesn't want to go for walks.

Did this not wanting to walk just start recently? Could it be related to the heat? Does she limp or walk strangely when she does walk? Does she show discomfort when you press on the corn/callus areas on the toes? Has she had a general vet check, bloodwork, etc.? If she walks normally but just doesn't want to walk (this really isn't clear from what you've posted so far) it might be too much of an assumption that her toes are the problem.

Poor girl ... Beth just lost one toe after a running ligament injury, and what happened to Lacie is what I dread when I let her run again.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad