Really Dry Skin

Guest UpperHandAndy

Guest NJgrey

Yikes, looks just like Ellie's skin when we got her off the track. Tons of dandruff, scabby patches coming off with chunks of hair. She had fleas too.

It's all completely normal, and there's no magic bullet to make it all change overnight. He's got to blow his entire track coat and he's got to get used to the new climate he's living in. Feed him a high quality food, use a bit of fish oil and just keep brushing. The furminator may be a little much for his skin right now, but it's good to have one on hand for later, they're awesome. Use the glove for now, wait a couple weeks, then give him a bath too. Took Ellie a couple months for the dandruff to finish off, just be patient.

Guest UpperHandAndy

Spoke to the adoption group Wednesday, and they said his skin may be a reaction to the Frontline he was getting before coming to me. Took Mr. Andy to the vet today to get chipped, so I asked about his skin. He agreed that it was probably from that, and since it mostly was dry/scabby/flaking across his spine, there wasn't anything to worry about. He told me if I start seeing it creeping down his sides to bring him back in. He just said to brush! I think am going to switch him over to Trifexis next month and try to keep the topicals off of him. Glad everything is fine, and hopefully my pretty boy will start looking pretty again soon!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BrindleBoy

Vet said Indy's loss of coat was probably due to stress- no big surprise there. But she said the dry skin was NOT so much a reaction to stress, and said to give him 1 fish oil capsule a day, which we have begun. I'm guessing the clumps of hair ATTACHED to the fur is simply a combination of stress + dry skin. So we'll give him a month on the fish oil an see what happens. I asked about the Frontline possibly causing the dry skin, and she seemed doubtful.

On a side note: Indy tested positive for hookworms, which is why his poop hasn't been solid. I know he was tested before we adopted him & he was clean, I guess he must have picked up the hookworm at the prison the 2 weeks he was there before we got him. He's on Interceptor now.

Giving 1 fish oil capsule a day is a pretty low dose for a greyhound. I'll sometimes use just 1/day for maintenance when skin/coat look good. But if there's a lot of flakes and dry skin, I find that I don't see improvement until I increase it to 2-3 capsules/day (divided between meals). This is in line with Swifthounds' dosages given above. You do want to work up gradually to decrease the risk of upset stomach.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg