Help: Ear Petting Results In Whimper/air Snap

Guest cotaylo

Guest mariah

If someone Chips doesn't know all that well pets him on the ears, no matter how gently, he'll let out an awful shriek like he's hurting. He did this initially with us, but not anymore. Now when we pet him he seems to enjoy it. I had wondered if someone had pulled on his ears or something when he was a pup, but it sounds like it's just a greyhound thing.

Guest cotaylo

Hey everyone. Thanks again for all the replies.

I wanted to update you with what we've been doing. Grey has been pretty good with the ear petting - it's not like we couldn't touch them at all before. But, it was just a certain way that would elicit the yelp and sometimes a snap.

We've been praising him a lot as we pet his ears and are being gentle. This has helped a lot. In fact, no more snaps so far and the yelping has become minimal if at all. Although, we haven't been pushing him with it - not trying to make him do something that hurts him if that is the case. So, we figure if we are gentle and do it with praise, we can keep doing a little more to see how things go. But we are taking it slow. Right now, I think he's been so focused on hearing the sweet talk that he doesn't focus on the actual ear petting.

p.s. He is just starting to learn his new name and we are very excited! Although, getting him to wait at the door to let us go first is quite a challenge.\

Colleen

Good job. Just remember - this dog might never want it's ears messed with in certain ways - and there's no reason to fuss about that. This is not a Lab. It doesn't want to be handled like one. Greys also don't like to be thumped on the side like a lot of dogs do. You'll find enough important stuff that you need to work through with a grey - let the minor stuff go.

That's an interesting comment about the thumping on the side thing. I hadn't thought about that because my Grey enjoys it. He likes hugging and side thumps.

Here's an update...

Grey is doing well with the ear petting. So far, no more yelps or air snaps! Yay. We've been able to pet and play gently with his ears and no more problems. At first, we had to sweet-talk him while petting but now we don't have to and we can pet his ears in any direction. Still being cautious though and not rubbing like crazy or pulling.

Guest Shermanator

Same thing with my angel, Patton -LOVED hear rubs, but he'd SCREAM if you touched him and it bothered him, just a little bit. Then he'd come back for more ear rubs and screaming. We ran the gauntlet with the vet, and realized he was just a very vocal boy!