Give Me A Refresher On Which Meds Are Grey-Safe

Guest Fluffy

Guest Fluffy

So it's just about time for me to re-order Badger's flea/tick and anti-worm meds. We bought our first round of Frontline Plus 45-88lb and Heartgard (in the box with brown edges, i don't have it here to see exactly what that meant) directly from the vet, but as the vet herself told me, they're not exactly the most cost-effective source for these things. I have seen Joe's Pet Meds recommended on here as a reliable, cheap place for flea & worm meds, so I went on there and looked around. Before I place an order, though, I want to double-check with you guys what meds are safe to give greys.

- Is my "Heartgard" at home probably "Heartgard Plus," as seen here? If not, is the "plus" version also safe for greys?

- Has anyone used Joe's "Generic Heartgard Plus"? Is this safe to buy?

- Also on these boards I remember reading that Interceptor actually covers a broader spectrum of wormy things than Heartgard. Interceptor, as seen here, is safe for greys, right?

- Is there any reason I would want to choose the less-protection Heartgard over the more-protection Interceptor?

Bonus question: We're not due for a vet visit until December and ordering these meds from Joe's apparently does not require a prescription, but the Interceptor page on Joe's says that "Dogs should be tested and be free from both adult heartworm and microfilariae before starting on preventative treatment with Interceptor Spectrum Chews." Does this mean that I should schedule a worm-testing vet visit before starting him on that when the Heartgard runs out, or is that only if the dog hasn't already been on worm meds?

Scroll down on this page, there's a full list of grey-safe products: http://grassmereanimalhospital.com/other_greyhound_things.htm

Although I don't hear of many folks using it, my vet strongly recommends the newish Advantage Multi as broader spectrum and more effective than anything else out there.

Yes, my understanding is that you are supposed to get an annual heartworm test before getting a refill on heartworm meds even if your dog has been on them. It's supposed to be prescription, even if there are ways about that.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad