Interceptor V. Heartguard ?

Guest IrskasMom

Guest KennelMom
I have also heard recently, although I don't know for certain that it's true, that there is less danger in giving Interceptor to a dog who has heartworms then Heartguard. I had learned that giving heartworm preventative to a dog that was infected would likely be deadly, which is why you always need to get the yearly test, but supposedly it's less dangerous with Interceptor. Not that any of us aren't keeping our pets on preventative and getting yearly tests like good owners anyway, just throwing that out there as another difference. :)

ETA: In case this wasn't clear, I'm not suggesting anyone try to "treat" a heartworm infected dog with either one, I was just referring to situations where it would be accidental, like you forgot to give a dose and in the meantime, the dog became infected.

The active ingredient in Heartguard is Ivermectin, which is used in some cases to treat hw+ dogs, only mildy hw+ dogs. It doesn't kill adult hw's but will prevent them from getting any new heartworms and eventually they all just die off and the dog becomes hw-.

I've not heard of using Interceptor, which has a different active ingredient, for this purpose...but it's entirely possible.

HW prevention works via reachback, so it doesn't prevent for the upcoming month...it kills "baby hw's" (the larvae) acquired over the previous X number of days. The reachback of ivermectin is definitely more than 30 days...at least 45 and probably even 2 months or more (as told to me by my SIL, DVM and vet pathologist). So, missing a month is really not the end of the world. 30 days is chosen because that's what pet owners can remember reliably (and even then we tend to forget!), plus the 30 day window makes the "other wormer" meds more effective. Worms have different growth and reproductive cycles, which makes hw prevention good for preventing GI infestations of hooks or whatever else, but not an absolute preventative. I'd think of the other worming activity as a "bonus"...but it's really good at what it's primary purpose is: heartworm prevention.

The old hw prevention that was given daily could be deadly if given to a hw+ dog...I think that dire warning has just always stayed with us, even as the meds have improved.

We use liquid ivermectin on a 30 day schedule. I worm as needed, but rarely ever need to (even with all the track dogs and boarded dogs that have come through our property)

Edited by KennelMom

Guest TBSFlame
I used to give Heartguard but we kept getting recurring hookworms. On Interceptor now. No side effects with either.

There is actually research out there about using both medications to stunt the growth of adult heartworms. It won't kill the adults or cure the dog, but it is sometimes used in conjunction with the standard heartworm treatment because it kills the worms off more slowly.

I know someone that had an old dog with heartworms and they used that treatment because she was so old.

I have also heard recently, although I don't know for certain that it's true, that there is less danger in giving Interceptor to a dog who has heartworms then Heartguard. I had learned that giving heartworm preventative to a dog that was infected would likely be deadly, which is why you always need to get the yearly test, but supposedly it's less dangerous with Interceptor. Not that any of us aren't keeping our pets on preventative and getting yearly tests like good owners anyway, just throwing that out there as another difference. :)

ETA: In case this wasn't clear, I'm not suggesting anyone try to "treat" a heartworm infected dog with either one, I was just referring to situations where it would be accidental, like you forgot to give a dose and in the meantime, the dog became infected.

The active ingredient in Heartguard is Ivermectin, which is used in some cases to treat hw+ dogs, only mildy hw+ dogs. It doesn't kill adult hw's but will prevent them from getting any new heartworms and eventually they all just die off and the dog becomes hw-.

I've not heard of using Interceptor, which has a different active ingredient, for this purpose...but it's entirely possible.

HW prevention works via reachback, so it doesn't prevent for the upcoming month...it kills "baby hw's" (the larvae) acquired over the previous X number of days. The reachback of ivermectin is definitely more than 30 days...at least 45 and probably even 2 months or more (as told to me by my SIL, DVM and vet pathologist). So, missing a month is really not the end of the world. 30 days is chosen because that's what pet owners can remember reliably (and even then we tend to forget!), plus the 30 day window makes the "other wormer" meds more effective. Worms have different growth and reproductive cycles, which makes hw prevention good for preventing GI infestations of hooks or whatever else, but not an absolute preventative. I'd think of the other worming activity as a "bonus"...but it's really good at what it's primary purpose is: heartworm prevention.

The old hw prevention that was given daily could be deadly if given to a hw+ dog...I think that dire warning has just always stayed with us, even as the meds have improved.

We use liquid ivermectin on a 30 day schedule. I worm as needed, but rarely ever need to (even with all the track dogs and boarded dogs that have come through our property)

That's what I use. I just did it at breakfast yesterday. It can be a pain but is a lot cheaper.