Can We Go Over Diarrhea One More Time Please.

Guest 3greysinPA

Guest Energy11

I know of quite a few people whose greys have had, eitiher, allergic reactions, or the Big D, from the new ProPlan with shreaded stuff.

Good Luck!

Guest TurnerMiller01
I know of quite a few people whose greys have had, eitiher, allergic reactions, or the Big D, from the new ProPlan with shreaded stuff.

Good Luck!

Then maybe it might be a good idea to just them off that stuff... Darn.. we just bought a huge new bag.

Guest TurnerMiller01

Been Feeding Lilly Boiled chx and Rice with some of the PRo Plan Kibble... and honestly.. it went from complete liquid to still very mushy and runny....

NOT much improvement at all.

I'm so disgusted right now with that PRO PLAN I could SPIT :puke

Lilly is still taking the Metronidiazole...(sp?)... You guys know what I mean...

I just got back from the store... i bought a bag of IAMS (white bag) Dog Nutrition Premium Protection for adult dogs....I'm gonna start to slowly ween off the PRO PLAN Shredded and on to IAMS... I'm at the point now of thinkin that she must be allergic to or not tolerating that pro plan very well...

So,, Keep Your Fingers Crossed for an improvement...

do you think i should continue with the Chx and Rice mixed in????

thanks

Guest Energy11

I would continue the Chix and Rice while you are weaning her ... As I mentioned in a previous post, A LOT of people I know have had trouble with that shreaded ProPlan food. Good LucK!

Guest TurnerMiller01
I would continue the Chix and Rice while you are weaning her ... As I mentioned in a previous post, A LOT of people I know have had trouble with that shreaded ProPlan food. Good LucK!

yes.. will do...

and... it was from your previous posting.. that led me to believe that she is just not agreeing with the PRO Plan....

is that what you are thinking as well? :huh

You might consider giving Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach a whirl -- fish-based kibbles work very well for a lot of hounds. I fed Beth Pro Plan Selects Salmon (quite similar) until very recently, and she did pretty well on it, better than any chicken or red meat food I'd tried . . . I just recently switched to Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream (also salmon-based) and wow, it looks like her poop is finally getting truly firm.

FYI The psyllium fiber never did a thing for Beth except make her loose poop all gluey, and the food I tried that had beet pulp (Diamond Lamb & Rice) didn't work either.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest TurnerMiller01

ON A BETTER NOTE................

:thumbs-up WE have a soft but formed POOP!!! :yay:yay:yay:confetti

It brought tears of JOY to my eyes :weep

ANyway, I started her on FLorestor ( a probiotic, someone on here recommended), and then yesterday gave her one dose of childrens Immodium)

and Today is DAY 3 Pro Plan CHx and Rice and IAMS!!!!!

Yahoooooo LILLY GIRL!!!!

Edited by TurnerMiller01

Guest TheUnrulyHound

Are you switching her to Iams completely???? Cause I know mine never have a problem with runny poo and they are on Iams. I have had some fosters come in with the big D and as soon as they were switched off of the former food (usually the kirklands brand) they would be solid and it takes care of their bad gas too :clap I would try going with just the Iams.

Guest eccoNreesie

you are going to hear 100000 opinions on diarrhea, so i thought i would add 1000000 +1 lol.

Antibiotics of any sort will entirely wipe out the good bacteria (that keeps your dogs gut in check) out, therefore you must think of replacing those good bacteria through the use of probiotics. Also, times of stress will and can cause stress diarrhea (sounds like she has had a lot of it lately w/ cuts etc etc)....so keep that in mind. I also subscribe to the idea of worming on schedule also, outside of the normal heartworm pill that contains pyrantel (strongid). That said, i will tell you that when i got my second hound, who had good poops then went to liquid orange diarrhea (and was not on antibiotics btw)...this is what worked and didnt work FOR US: (keep in mind, im a vet tech and have endless resources to medicine, therapy etc)

a food change was underway but i didnt want to switch her back to the less quality foster food they had her on...so i kept to my britches and this is waht worked thankfully...she was otherwise fine (i.e. no vomiting, not lethargic etc)

1. stool sample to rule out worms -hers was negative

2. start on 10 day run of metrodiazole (flagyl) twice daily

3. worm with Strongid

3. chicken and rice only for 3 straight days.....3 meals a day AFTER an inital 24 hour fast. during fasting i gave oral pedilyte as water source to rebalance electrolytes.

4. day 4, start to slowly integrate kibble only (no canned food!) to the tune of 1 part kibble to 8 parts rbland food (i.e.ice/chicken )and then gradually increase kibble slowly over 7 days time! *** side note: i truely feel that my dog did not digest rice correctly as evident by her pooping it out and her stools never really getting firm, so keep an eye on this...if no firm poop in 24 ish hours then the rice is not working and move on to something like potato...... as the starch**

5. once firm and on 100% kibble see how she does....if her poops arnt bouncing off of the ground, she may need fiber in her diet (i feed 75% grain free, 25% regular dog food..and found my one girl needs more fiber than that...more on that later)

6. if she needs fiber, try pumpkin first....if that doesnt work (didnt for me) i give 1 teaspoon (actual measuring spoon not regular one) of unflavored metamucil (psyllum powder) once per day mixed right in w/ her kibble w/ a little water......

also, i have used kelp for years (noreweigen kelp powder) in my dogs and have had great results ......it DOES help w/ digestion so daily my dogs get: Innova Evo and regular kibble, wellness 95% meat canned (1 tsp each meal), 2 tsp kelp, glucosomine pills, probiotic pills, CoQ10 pill and for Reese, metamucil powder.......during the winter i add salmon oil for that dredded dandruff problem we all have! oh and i worm w/ pyrantel (strongid) 4 times a year and with panacur twice yearly on schedule. very benign wormers and if you know anything about parasites, esp ones indicitive to the southern states (i.e. hooks and whips) you will know that they are pretty environmentally persistant and also lay dormant in muscle tissue and in the lining of the gut FOR YEARs and can come out in times of stress. nasty buggers! Strongid is great, easy (treats hooks, rounds but not whips only panacur (fenbendazole) gets that)........

hope this longgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg post helps LOL!

christine