Watch Out For Cocoa Mulch In The Spring!

Guest BlueCrab

Guest BlueCrab

Now that spring is here and folks are working on their gardens, please watch your puppers around newly mulched flower and garden beds. If they show a little too much interest, make sure they don't ingest any of it. It may be cocoa mulch, which is a chocolate derivative and can be harmful or even fatal to pets if ingested.

Here's the Snopes link:

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/cocoamulch.asp

Thank You for posting this, I have read stories where dogs have died....

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

• 1 month later...
Guest sorenkkg

I just got an email on this from a friend, and was glad the snopes.com link was in there, b/c I always check that site for bogus email stories.

This one is pretty much true. The mulch is made of remnants of chocolate processing, and the husks etc do contain a LOT of theobromine and caffeine-- more concentrated than any other source a dog might get.

Of course most greys are pretty big dogs, and it's all about concentration and how much the dog eats... but why even take a chance? Many other mulches out there that aren't made of cocoa!

Just wanted to bump this up so everyone could see it!