Swollen Area On Side

Guest ArgusRun

Guest ArgusRun

Robbie (who after 6 months in my home is now the goofiest happiest grey!) has a small area of swelling on his left side towards tthe rear, on the last one or two ribs. It's not huge, and I didn't notice it at first. He doesnt cry out when I touch it, but you can feel his muscles twitch when you press on it and it's clearly not comfortable.

He's still eating and drinking fine. The area just feels swollen, no lump or wound. Structurally he seems okay as he stood up to get at the cat's food I keep on the counter.

I had him out at the dog park early this morning when only one or two dogs were there. They didn't play together, but Robbie went for a good run, slipping and sliding around.

Could it be a pulled muscle or something?

Am I a bad parent for not rushing him to an emergency vet?

How large an area is affected? Dime-sized? Palm-sized?

Is the swelling confined to the skin? Meaning, can you sort of move it around over his ribs? Or does it seem to be attached to the ribs and the skin moves over it? If the latter, I'd go get xrays.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest ArgusRun
How large an area is affected? Dime-sized? Palm-sized?

Is the swelling confined to the skin? Meaning, can you sort of move it around over his ribs? Or does it seem to be attached to the ribs and the skin moves over it? If the latter, I'd go get xrays.

About the size of a small palm. Does not feel attached to ribs. I've had cats with cysts and tumors before. This just feels like swollen flesh.

Is there any discoloration to the skin? Does it feel especially warm to the touch? Possibly just a nasty hematoma...

As long as it's movable (not attached to ribs) I'd say just keep an eye on it for a couple days. If it changes or he acts bothered (lethargic or restless), take him in. Also check his temperature. If he gets feverish at all, take him in, that means a likely infection.

~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest ArgusRun
Is there any discoloration to the skin? Does it feel especially warm to the touch? Possibly just a nasty hematoma...

As long as it's movable (not attached to ribs) I'd say just keep an eye on it for a couple days. If it changes or he acts bothered (lethargic or restless), take him in. Also check his temperature. If he gets feverish at all, take him in, that means a likely infection.

Thanks. That was my instinct, too. He's acting normal other than the tenderness, so I'll see how he feels in the morning.

I just worry :)

I understand completely. :)

I should also add that if it doesn't show signs of dissipating in a day or two, take him in.

Th upshot: if anything other than it simply going away happens, take him in. :lol