People Who Are So Clueless That Dogs Can Get Many Of The Same Illnesse

Guest EmilyAnne

Guest EmilyAnne
Sometimes it does get frustrating dealing with "clueless" people. But the more that we talk about and pass on the knowledge there is hopefully one less "clueless" person.

I deal with this daily,

Me: "your dog can get breast cancer if not spayed"

Clueless: Really!

I could go on and on.

I applaud all of you tackling difficult situations and teaching others along the way.

Yes, veterinary medicine has come along way in 20yrs. It is fantastic what we can offer our pets today.

But there are still those that want a "crystal ball diagnosis and a pill to fix it" They decline bloodwork, or xrays for a limping or vomiting dog etc etc.

And the worst is the "its just a dog" person, but they will always be there frustrating all of us.

I have been following Henry's story because my co-worker has a GSD in the same situation. In fact Lilly had a bad cluster two weeks before Henry. I mentioned Henry and showed her your Blog.

Last night she emailed me when she found out that you both were on the EPI board and already had communicated.....small world.

Keep up the good work

My husband had a chihuahua from well before we even met. When we moved in together, she was 14. She had never been spayed. I noticed she had lumps, and it turned out she had breast cancer and had to have several breasts removed, masectomy basically. I would show people her missing breasts/nipples, and explain she had cancer and had to have masectomies on multiple breasts because she had not been spayed. People were amazed! The cancer never came back, and she lived to be 17, and passed on from just plain old age.

The only ones that really ruffle my feathers are the ones who tell me I should put a pet to sleep. Grrr.....

That EPIL-K9 list, it's a GODSEND! I am so glad a fellow GT'er directed me to it! I can pour my heart and soul out on that list, and share all my frusturations, and everyone knows where I am coming from. It is through them that I learned about the icepack, which was very succesful with 17 out of 20 Grand-Mals. I know who you are speaking of. It's been a rough time for a lot of people on the EPIL-K9 list. Lots of clusters this past month. :(

A little update on Henry, I increaed his Phenobarbital on Saturday, to 150 mg twice daily, and even his Focal seizures have dissapeared! He was having those almost daily and had been for a long time. 17 days Grand-Mal free today! I hope he'll go a much longer time now since he is on the Phenobarbital now.

Pearl's outlived her prognosis from her heart disease by 2 yrs. She's on a plethura of meds. And she turns 11 this Friday. I can't be more thankful for her cardiologist and her heart and BP meds.

Yes.....medicine, especially for our furkids have come a long way.

:yay