Evil Hookworms

Guest Dragonmom

Guest Dragonmom

:sick Winnie has the worst farts right now and the only thing that has changed is that she is getting different meds to help cure her hookworms :( she did 2 rounds of panacur pills. Now she is taking Interceptor once a week for 6 weeks an Liquid Panacur 15 mls for 3 days and then 3 weeks later she has to take the panacur liquid again.

anyone else had persistant hookworms with their grey and tried this combo before?

Yup - we had a (non-Grey) foster several years ago that had hooks. You do have to get aggressive like this, and repeat treatment every three weeks, three times. Then re-test.

The other thing to remember is that hooks stay in your soil for a few yeaes. So if you don't already have your dogs on Interceptor for regular heartworm prevention, you'll want to do that. And, you'll want to give them the preventive year-round, rather than just in the summer months.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest paulamariez

We had it too. We found the most effective thing was to keep the boys on the Interceptor year round. Forget taking those few months break on the heartworm meds in the winter! Getting rid of the hooks is worth the couple bucks expense for the heartworm meds year round! (and we live in WI too). Also, the yard clean up is imperative! Mine went in a sandy/rocky soil area, so I didn't have to worry about ruining the grass and I would take buckets of hot water mixed with bleach and clean up the royal pooping grounds. Just threw buckets of it in the royal dumping areas. If you have grass to worry about, the bleach would ruin it but if you did a search, you might find something compatible with the grass for cleaning up the ground. That's usually why they keep coming back, because the hounds walk in the hookworm residue from their poops, then come in and lick their paws and re-ingest the hookworms. Nasty cycle.

Guest Dragonmom

we dont have a yard so winnie is walked for poops. i always clean up after her and trying to space it our where she goes. she is on revolution for heartworm/flea/tick prevention and the interceptor is new just to help treat the hookworm.

we dont have a yard so winnie is walked for poops. i always clean up after her and trying to space it our where she goes. she is on revolution for heartworm/flea/tick prevention and the interceptor is new just to help treat the hookworm.

Even so, it's also important to remember that hooks burrow in through the skin. So simply walking across infected ground can re-infect a dog (or infect a barefoot human). So you may not even know where the hooks came from; could have been the soil at your vet's office, or outside your favorite pet store, for example.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest Dragonmom

she came home from the kennel with them when i adopted her, but she wasnt in there very long so the vet and i are thinking she picked them up at one of her other homes.