Help Needed For Excessive Flaking Skin With Bald Thighs And Neck

Guest Artemis

Guest Artemis

My lovely greylady who is 3yrs and 3 mos that I just adopted is having problems with excessively flakey skin and her tail is very lumpy and in some parts looks like a skeletal spine outline. She has very good appetite and energy level but I am concerned until my vet can see her this upcoming week on the overall total body skin dandruff and her lumpy tail which is not smooth and tapered but visibly looks and feels segmented and jointed. I also see a lot of balding on her thighs and neck/chest areas. She also has little skin tag bumps all over her body almost like a raise mole mostly on her neck, shoulders and legs. Are these problems familar to anyone out there and what if anything should I ask be tested, medication prescribed , etc to help my angel in her time of transitioning to our home. She has been off the track for 2 weeks and was fed 2 cups am and pm of Purina One Chicken and Rice. She is in constant search for food in our kitchen and we have to make sure not to leave any food out as she will attempt to place her front paws on our counterops in search for food. Many thanks!

Ask to have her thyroid function tested when you take her to see your vet.

The skintag-like things sound odd, I'd definitely want a vet's opinion on them.

:goodluck

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Our foster girl had very flakey skin when she came to us. It was so bad that whenever she got up from where she was lying down it looked like it had snowed :blink: so, we started her on fish oil pills and her coat and skin are wonderful now! She is still bald on her thighs and neck but what little hair she does have is amazingly soft now!

Suzie Collins

Owner/Artist Skinny Hound Designs

Greyhound decals, magnets and signs.

Fur kids: Isabelle and Petey

The flaky skin you can give 1000 mg. of fish oil once a day in her food, that should take care of that. The lumpy, bumpy tail, my big boys tails are like that, it's just that they're skinny tails with little fur so you're able to see all the joints. Once your pup gains about 5lbs. it won't be as noticeable. That's just a continuation of their spinal column. The skin tags are no problem. Your vet can take them off. It's a good idea to have her checked by your vet though just to put your mind at ease.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

OK, SuzieQ, what brand of fish oil and mg? You knew someone was gonna ask! :D

~Pat

I think Judy Answered it for me but we buy the big bottle of them at Sam's Club (their brand Member's Mark) Omega 3 Fish Oil Softgels 1000 mg pills. I think there is 400 pills in a bottle.

We give 2xs a day (breakfast and dinner) :)

Suzie Collins

Owner/Artist Skinny Hound Designs

Greyhound decals, magnets and signs.

Fur kids: Isabelle and Petey