Any Ideas How To Remove Duct Tape?

Guest paulamariez

Guest GiJenn51

Next time if you have something that needs to be done faster, you can use a QTip to help get the oil under faster.

Guest RooRoo

I'm glad the olive oil helped you get it off... I had a similar situation last month after Rizzo's mass removal surgery on his rear leg.

Long story short... over 40 minutes after disappearing for the bandage removal, Rizzo comes from out back with a tech and shes says... "We had trouble getting the tape off. Here's some cream" :blink:

:eek They had duct taped the upper and lower aread above and below to keep the bandage on and they literally tore off his poor little parchment-like skin when they tried to remove it. He was more sore, injured and vulnerable to infection than the wound site itself.

The Chief of Staff of the hospital called me that night to personally apologize for what happened and said he will talk to the techs about proper wrapping, esp. with a greyhound, etc. He said, "Your poor little guy is brave because they said he never made a sound" :angry:

I will say the Panolog® ointment they gave me to apply did wonders to soothe and heal the torn area in just a few days. It was actually amazing it helped him so quickly and oh so nice of them that they didn't charge me for it ;)

I can feel your frustration and I'm glad this situation is under control for you for you and Bueller!!!

Guest greytexplorer

I was going to suggest spraying the area with cooking spray, like PAM.

If pupper licks it, no harm done.

I would take scissors and cut the tape every 1/4 inch all the way around, then spray. Hopefully, enough of the spray would penetrate where the tape had been nicked with the scissors.

Thanks for bringing this up. Good information/knowledge in future (just hope I don't have to use it).

~Pat

Guest MZH

This thread has been quite an eye-opener for me. I had no idea some vet techs would ever use duct tape for bandage wrap. Ya gotta wonder why it's so handy though. <_<

Thanks much for the olive oil tip. I never would have dreamt that it would work its way under duct tape. Awesome!

I sure feel sorry for both Bueller and Rizzo. Regular tape on a leg is bad enough but duct tape -- sheesh. :sad1

Marcia in SC