Protective Collar - Drawing A Blank

Guest BlueCrab

Guest BlueCrab

I'm trying to help out a not-so-dog-savvy friend but can't remember the name for the protective collar I'm thinking of...

Her non-grey has just torn his ACL and is going in for surgery. I'm trying to help her out in finding a protective collar for post-surgical purposes so he can't mess with his surgery site. I know one mail order company has an inflatable donut sort of collar that's an alternative for the "cone" or "elizabethan" sort. But there's another sort of collar out there that I've seen advertised but can't find now. It fits snug to the neck and keeps the dog from bending the neck around. I don't think it's going to work with her mastiff's short neck but I'd like to at least remember what it's called and see if I can find one.

Anyone able to help me out with the name of the device? For future reference - definitely not needed by us right now - anyone tried one of these alternative protective collars on Greys? Do they work better than / worse than the old, traditional "cone" sorts of protective collars?

Guest lotsagreys4me

Yes, the bite not collar. they are so great.............I wish all the vets carried themj instead of those lamp shades.

Guest boondog

They're much better (in most cases) for greyhounds than the e-collars. A friend of mine even wrote a product review in the last CG magazine.

I hope your pup's surgery goes well.

Edited by boondog

Guest BlueCrab

Ahh, you folks are wonderful! Thanks much. That's it! And I'm glad to hear good reviews on the product for greys. Hope I don't ever need it, but it never hurts to be prepared. And yack....those lampshade ones are LOUSY!

:D